Beginner headlight question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner headlight question

I just bought my first motorcycle, '82 GS650, in non-running condition. I've almost got it to the point where I should be able to get it running, and I cannot get the headlight to come on. I know this is a stupid question, but I don't have much experience working on bikes or any diagrams to work from, does the headlight run off of the battery, or does it run right off of the generator? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

i do believe it runs off the battery. do you have other lights that come on when you turn the key on? if so you might have a loose or disconnected wire in your headlight bucket. or you head light might be blown.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. The bulb is good, the turn signals work, the neutral light, oil light, and the "1" on the gear indicator all work, all of the connectors behind the headlight are plugged in, but there is no light on for the speedometer or tachometer. I found one wire unplugged under the fuel tank, tried plugging that in but no results.

Comment

There's also a fuse for the headlight.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sorry, didn't proofread my post. I meant to add that all of the fuses are good.

Comment

If you have a voltmeter get to work. start from the source (battery) and check for power til you get to the fuse box. pull off the instrument and headlight fuses and check to see if you have power (on the battery side of the fuse box).
            Check the fuses with OHM meter.
            Put the fuses back in and start checking each positive wire all the way to head lights, tach and speedo. It takes work but at least you know where the problem is.

Go to Basscliff website, i'm sure i've seen a wiring diagram for your bike.or it could have been a 850?

Chris

Comment

Here's the wiring diagram:

Comment

WHere are you at in NH?? Close enough to one of us and maybe we could come over and help.
                I live in Wells ME, so relatively close to most.
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

You need to get a wiring diagram and a multimeter or 12v lamp with alligator clips attached. Then trace the wiring from the battery to the headlight connection.

Turn ignition on, if headlight does not come on with ignition "ON" then turn headlight on at handlebar switch. I think in the US they had headlight "ON" all the time, whereas in OZ we had an ON/OFF handlebar switch. With ignition on there should be 12v at the headlight fuse. If so then work on from there.

Comment

Thanks for the information and diagram. I actually live about 700 miles away from NH, I've just been using the NH suffix for a long time at the end of my username.

Comment

Check your high/low headlight switch
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

82 or 81

I have an '81 and it has the switch on the handlebar for the lights. I think by '82 that switch was gone, or at least was stuck in the 'on' position. Your most likely problem is the connections inside that handlebar switch assembly. Before you take it apart be very careful to work on a bench where you can catch all the tiny pieces that will fall out. Then work slowly to make sure you see where they came from as they are coming apart. Clean all the connections on those little metal plates and then use a jumper to see if the lights work while it's apart. It's slow, delicate work but they are usually reparable.

Comment

Working...
                        X