Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I heading in the right direction

Hi all

I been looking around the forums trying to figure out where I should go from here. (I hope it doesn't involve a hand basket ).

A little bit of history, or just skip to the summary below.
    I have an 82 GS850. I got it from my father in-law two years ago with 24,000 miles. All I did to get it running was to clean/rebuild the carbs and replace the foam air filter. I replaced all the jets with new ones from the kits. The bike ran well that summer (my first bike so what do I know ) and averaged around 44 mpg. Near the end of the riding season I took the bike to a recommended mechanic (that supposedly had a lot of experience on older bikes) for valve adjustment (now 28,000 miles). He said they were all WAY out of adjustment (may never have been done before), and the bike seemed to run better. I never winterized it because I started it up and ran it around every couple of weeks when the weather was decent. The next riding season (last Spring / Summer / Fall) I started noticing a drop off in mileage gradually falling to the low 30s, and popping (backfiring?) coming from the mufflers.

During this time I cleaned the air filter (I had put too much oil in it previously). Pulled the carbs and cleaned them (didn't tear them down completely just dissembled the upper and lower parts and sprayed carb cleaner through all the jets). Overall the carbs looked clean and didn't see anything obvious. I also did a bench sync on the carbs and verified with a kit-bashed manometer, and everything looked pretty balanced per the repair manual. At 36,000 miles I got brave and decided I was going to shim the valves myself (thanks to everyone here, the cable tie trick worked great). They were all way too loose. I'm not sure if the mechanic just guessed what it needed or if they changed that much. I got them all back int spec but still no improvement in mileage, however the popping diminished but didn't entirely go away. I also did the coil relay mod at this time. Riding partners were saying they could smell raw gas when following me, I could also smell it when I was stopped at traffic lights. At this point I decided to not mess with much since the weather was getting colder and I didn't want to mess something up since I was still riding it when ever the weather was nice.

I found that #2 spark plug was fouled, and replaced it and it quickly fouled again (within 300 miles). I've played with the air flow screw on the carbs trying to lean it out without any luck. I have torn down Carb #2 and it looked clean (I did clean it again just to be sure). I have just done a compression test and #2 was about 100 and the other cylinders were at 120. I put a little oil in the cylinder and it jumped to 120. All the plugs seem to have the same strength of spark (calibrated eyeball), however not what I would call strong.

In summary:
    1982 GS 850
    Stock airbox and pipes.
    Was getting 44 mpg two years ago now getting about 30.
    Raw gas smell while running (no sign of gas dripping anywhere)
    #2 spark plug fouls quickly.

What I've messed with:
    Cleaned the carbs (they looked pretty clean already).
    Benched sync the carbs
    Cleaned out the air filter (had too much oil originally)
    Shimmed the valves within 2,000 miles
    Installed the coil relay mod

Where to go from here.
    After reading various threads on this site I'm leaning toward a ring job, but not looking forward to that major of a job. I've read the GS Greeting page and will look at the intake boots because I've noticed the idle speed varies, but I don't think this is the culprit.

If anyone has any other advice or ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Dip the carbs in a carb cleaner. there might be stuff in there that you cant see with the naked eye. put some new orings in there. you can get those from cycleorings. better to be safe than sorry.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Pull the petcock vacuum line off the carb and see if there is gas in it.
      Chances are you need a new petcock.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Nice to see another 82 850 (that was) getting mid-40s mpg.

Nice to see another newbie on the GSR, too.

Chef, would you please stop typing so quickly while I take the time to get all these cute little smilies?

Gray Dragon, assuming that you are counting your carbs correctly (#1 is under your clutch hand, #4 is under your throttle hand), the #2 carb is the one that provides the vacuum to turn on the petcock. If the diaphragm in the petcock has a leak, the engine will simply suck raw gas down the vacuum line and try to burn a VERY rich mixture. There are diaphargm repair kits available, but many on this board have had limited success with them. You would be better off just getting a new replacement petcock and not having to worry about it for another 25 years or so.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Gray Dragon,

I'm serious about those "Top 10 Common Issues".

Even if you've seen it, you get your own. So let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Everyone.

I guess when I read through the common issues I didn't link the petcock to my symptoms. Probably of not seeing the trees for the forest. It does make sense now, and I've ordered a new on order and should get it early next week (just in time for the rain).

I'll keep everyone informed.

Again Thanks

Kevin

Comment

Pictures, pictures, pictures...

Did I mention pictures?

And location...put it in your profile and it will show up in your posts...
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Took some pictures and updated my info.

Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2009, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Just wanted to give a big thanks for the help.

I got the petcock installed today and ran it a 4 miles (to get back to work). No sign of any gas smell or back firing and a lot more power than before.

Thanks again

Kevin

Comment

Score one for GSR, I had the same suggestion for my bike, too bad it wasnt the problem, glad you solved yours though!

NICE BIKE

Comment

Just checked my milage. I hit 44.5 mpg doing city, back roads(55mph) and highway (65mph).

I am Happy!!!

Again a big thanks to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X