Brake caliper overhaul questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chef,

Using the stock set-up. Splitter at the bottom triple clamp.

Colin,

Thanks for the links - Reading through them I suspect something is amiss at the master cylinder. There is no way it could be anywhere else.

Ed,

I doubt the pads are the root of the problem. Notice that the first bleed off locked my calipers. It's possible that the pistons might have gotten skewed in the bores due to uneven wear on the pads. But upon removal of the master cylinder and prying on the pistons, they slid back into the bores with little resistance. What I don't get is how the M/C relieves pressure when the lever is released. Both holes inside the reservoir are clear, yet nothing pumps or releases?

I may pull the brake lever off the Kat thou and try it just to see what happens....

Comment

So you may all label me a doubting Thomas. I have been through the whole system 3 times now, and for lack of anything suspicious, I've ordered new brake pads on the theory that the uneven wear on the old ones has caused the pistons to skew in their bores. If this doesn't solve it I don't know what will. Will keep you posted....

Comment

Relieving pressure does not release the calipers. HMM Has to be binding pistons or calipers.
        Take off the calipers (one at a time) and pull the brake lever and check out the travel of the pistons., They should be even, smooth and should also travel back a bit when releasing the lever.
        Of course stop before the piston comes out of the bore.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

So you can all rest easy knowing that brake pads solved the problem.
          Put some new EBC HH compound pads in, pumped the lever a few times, and viola! Pistons retracting, lever building and then subsequently releasing pressure. A beautiful thing.

The moral of the story: GSR is THE place for the absolute most knowledgeable members who will bend over backwards to help. Thanks again guys, this makes probably bacon saved number 5 for you!

I would have fought that caliper problem for probably another month or more, never considering skewed pads to be the culprit.
          Thanks!

Comment

Glad to hear it worked out
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Glad to hear you solved the problem. The one thing I would be cautious of is that when the new pads wear down to the same thickness that the old ones were at, you may wind up experiencing the same issue as the bores in the calipers may be worn in an egg-shaped fashion. This would allow the pistons to get cocked in the bores and not fully retract. Not trying to be a buzzkill or anything, it's just that changing pads can only affect so much of caliper functioning.

Comment

Maybe next time I bore gauge them....

Comment

Originally posted by RJ View Post
                  Glad to hear you solved the problem. The one thing I would be cautious of is that when the new pads wear down to the same thickness that the old ones were at, you may wind up experiencing the same issue as the bores in the calipers may be worn in an egg-shaped fashion. This would allow the pistons to get cocked in the bores and not fully retract. Not trying to be a buzzkill or anything, it's just that changing pads can only affect so much of caliper functioning.
                  I don't think there is anything to worry about. The caliper bores don't wear, even if the pistons are skewed slightly.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    If the brake pads are worn unevenly and you have just replaced everything else with NEW, I think the pads are due, too.
                    Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
                    So you can all rest easy knowing that brake pads solved the problem.
                    Put some new EBC HH compound pads in, pumped the lever a few times, and viola! Pistons retracting, lever building and then subsequently releasing pressure. A beautiful thing.
                    Thanks for the success report. I was just trying to suggest something that seemed obvious to me.

Too many times I have fussed over something saying "it just can't be ..." only to have someone else step up and suggest that very thing. Lo and behold, when I finally broke down and tried it, just to humor the other person, that's what fixed it. Sometimes it just takes another set of eyes on the problem.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Scuff up your front rotors for those new pads and be careful not to 'glaze' them by using the brakes too hard in the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                      X