K&N Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K&N Filter

So I bought (on accident) a K and N replacement filter for the stock air box. part number from parts unlimited is SU-1200. Does anyone know if it is worth the 52 dollars and is that the correct part number for a 1982 gs 1100 gl? I checked parts unlimited's site and the part number there is listed as su-120. I am assuming this is the same though. I wont be able to check the fit for a few days as my bike is not at my home, so I am wondering now so that I can take it back if need be.... Any thoughts??

SU-1200 seems to be the correct K&N part number for your bike.
    Al
    1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
    2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
    2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

I had one on my 850 but took it out because the plugs were white as a ghost. K&N’s also flow lots of air because they are not the most effective at blocking dirt. If you choose to run it, I suggest you check your plugs to make sure the bike is not running lean.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have a dynojet kit newly installed so I need all the air flow I can get. thanks guys

Comment

Hi Mr. nathan12,

It is a "lifetime" filter, but $52 seems a bit excessive. I paid $40 for mine down at the local AutoZone. I haven't shopped for an air filter in a couple of years, don't know what the prices are now.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I know, its expensive. That is the suggested price (after tax etc) on parts unlimited's catalog though unfortunately. Also, the individual "pods" are even more expensive than that. hmmm...
            nathan

Comment

For best overall dependability and rideability, keep everything stock. Stock airbox, stock filter, stock jets, etc. K&N's flow too much air for these bikes. Maybe good for a car, but not GS's.

Comment

i had no other choice but k&ns cause my 1100e has 92 or 3 36mm carbs on it so the stock air box won't work( i assume ). from what i understand if the k&n is a direct replacement for stock, there should be no change in airflow. i could be wrong on this. as others have said, it is a lifetime filter. so long as you clean it every once in a long while. you never have to buy another air filter. p.s. my filter pods cost me over $90. i also have the filter as a direct replacement on my 06 honda spirit 750 and it seems to be fine.

Comment

Its my understanding the K&N works better when dirty. Nothing wrong with the stock foam filter

Comment

Hi,

Yes, K&N air filters do flow more air. Keep an eye on your plugs and adjust carbs as necessary. I go back and forth between the K&N and the Uni foam filters (depending on which one is clean) without any issues. I'm pretty much a stock kind of guy too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

K&N Filter

I too just bought a K&N Filter which is supposed to be a direct part replacement. I wanted to go with an OEM part, but needed the part quick and got it overnighted for free...so now comes the dumb question. My old filter has a metal box kind of in the middle of a mess of foam...Am I to try and fit the K&N filter over that piece or do I just lob it into the airbox and go? I admit I am a newbie and one with little to no mechanical skills, so I welcome education. It will be installed into a 1982 GS1100GK

Comment

Working...
                      X