Avon Roadrider cracking Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waterman View Post
    Still cracked, still rolling down the street. Has about 2200 miles on it now.

Good news is that they haven't cracked any more after the initial cracking. Of course, picked up a big wood screw about dead center when I was going to send this back for replacement. Told myself to forget it and just drive it. That is what I have been doing.

Would I recommend this to others, no. I am using bike exclusively for commuting and watch the tire like a hawk. Loses air about weekly, mainly due to the plug I put in tire.
    Just my $0.02, but do yourself a favor..... pitch that tire & chalk it up to a bad experience with Avon. Spring for a cheap Shinko, and ride with peace of mind!
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Picked mine up this spring, barely 800 KMs and the rear is showing small cracks.....arrrrrrr. Stopped at the local shop that ordered them in for me and they're going to contact Avon for me. How frustrating.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
        Just my $0.02, but do yourself a favor..... pitch that tire & chalk it up to a bad experience with Avon. Spring for a cheap Shinko, and ride with peace of mind!
        I 2nd that.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
          Motorcycle superstore has them in stock.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx
          Thanks, I was after the RWL's.

I just got my new E3's in last night...they look to be sweet tires. I certainly can't wait to try them out.

Comment

Originally posted by COGS View Post
            Technical note: Doubt that any tire came "directly from Avon's warehouse" ... I believe they use sub-distributors in this country...don't think they sell direct...so, that could explain the lapse in DOT dates...
            Well it wasn't beyond the three year rule that most reputable tire companies abide by. Anything older than three years in a certain brand's warehouse get's shredded.

My friend has received a warranty sheet and is going to file it under his company name that is a tire distributor for lift truck tires.

I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill C. View Post
              I just picked up two roadriders, a 100-90-19 with a date code of 42/08 and a 130-90-17 with a date code of 41/08. Sidewalls do not have any shine to them. I looked with a flashlight and did not see any cracks. I will be getting them mounted next week and let everyone know how they work out.
              Just an update. Have about 2000 mile on the tires and no sign of problems yet. I run 40psi in the rear and 37psi up front. I weight 198lbs and ride pretty easy. Will keep an eye on the sidewalls and let everybody know if I have any problems.
              80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

I little bump to bring this one back to life.
                Seems that the rear Avon Roadrider dated April 09 on my 850 has a few cracks, several actaully. Front looks fine. Average PSI, 35-40. Bike stored in a dry garage.
                After I read this entire thread I'll decide what Im gonna do.

Just lettin ya know, keep an eye on your Avons.
                I'm not a happy camper.

sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Contacted Avon MOnday the 21st. Still no reply.
                  I may need to go see the dealer I bought the tires from.
                  Although I don't hold him/them responsible I think he should know.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Keep records and send them to DOT if Avon doesn't replace the tires.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Two messages sent to Avon with no reply. One on the 21st and one on the 25th
                      In their defence, I dont think they are getting my messages.

Am I using the correct contact link?

sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

Comment

SHINKO'S No Cracks......

Comment

The reply!

I guess I was using the correct contact info. Thanks anyway..

Their reply.
                          I also have a direct contact name, number and email address.
                          Didnt know if it would be a good idea to post it up.
                          If anyone needs it, I have it.

Looks like I'll be in contact with the fella/shop I bought the tire from.
                          Yup, I do indeed still have the recept.

"I regret to hear of the problem you are having with your Avon Roadrider. All Avon bike tires are warranted for 5 years from the date of manufacture for any manufacturing defects. Sidewall cracking is not something that we take lightly. I highly recommend getting in contact with your dealer to have the tire inspected. If there is concern that the tire is defective due to manufacturing, then the dealer will need to proceed with a warranty claim. All warranties are handled through the dealer networks. They will work with their distributor to get the tire taken care of for you. This is part of their job and duties as being an Avon dealer. All warranties are pro-rated based on the remaining tread depth of the tire."
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post

"...... All warranties are pro-rated based on the remaining tread depth of the tire."
                            This part may get you a lot less than a replacement tire or $.
                            I was happy with an Avon Roadrider and had no cracks on one purchased a few years ago for my GS1100E. The guy who bought my bike stopped by to visit last year and with less than 8K miles the tire still had no cracks but was totally bald.
                            I switched over to Shinko 230's because of this cracking issue but haven't logged enough miles (>8-10K) to evaluate their durability. Cheaper $, good grip even in rain, and no cracks, so I'd probably go with the Shinkos again. I would give the Avons another try on these old GSes if they dropped the price.

Comment

The tire only has a thousand miles on it. I still need to see the the fella where I purchased the tires. He's a local guy that has a small tire shop right around the corner. Not some big 3 dealer at the end of a strip mall, if ya know what I mean.
                              I'm so glad I didnt buy these tires online. Really makes this deal much easier.
                              I think it'll work out when I finally get around to dealing with it.
                              Its simple really, I just want a new tire.

If only I knew then what I know now(thanks to GSR). I wouldnt have a problem running Shinko's, except I'd have to change the matching Avon on the front as well. Not a fan of running miss-matched tires. I know its not a big deal, I simply dont like looks.

The kicker? I coulda *almost* bought two set of the Shinkos for the price of one set of the Avons.
                              Live and learn.

Will keep everyone posted on the results.
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                                The tire only has a thousand miles on it. I still need to see the the fella where I purchased the tires. He's a local guy that has a small tire shop right around the corner. Not some big 3 dealer at the end of a strip mall, if ya know what I mean.
                                I'm so glad I didnt buy these tires online. Really makes this deal much easier.
                                I think it'll work out when I finally get around to dealing with it.
                                Its simple really, I just want a new tire.

If only I knew then what I know now(thanks to GSR). I wouldnt have a problem running Shinko's, except I'd have to change the matching Avon on the front as well. Not a fan of running miss-matched tires. I know its not a big deal, I simply dont like looks.

The kicker? I coulda *almost* bought two set of the Shinkos for the price of one set of the Avons.
                                Live and learn.

Will keep everyone posted on the results.
                                I am glad to see you are getting some response from Avon, when my second tire started to show cracking and I emailed them, I heard nothing from them.

I am running an Avon front with a Shinko rear. No problems. Biggest change is that the shinko is wider and changes the way bike settles into corners, not quite as responsive. Looks like it will wear a long time and I don't mind the tread pattern.

My recently purchased 1100G has Roadriders, hopefully they will fair better. Still working on getting it completely road ready, so have put but a handful of miles on.

Comment

Working...
                                X