No announcement yet.

Avon Roadrider cracking Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avons where in the running for my Skunk project.Not any more,Lets see if I can get some Shinkos.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
      Bugger Simon! I was hoping this was a US thing, but I guess not...
      I doubt that Avon's are made in the US. Could people with affect RRs post their DOT codes? That enables looking up the factory in which the tires were made. I'm guessing that, unless a manufacturer knows that its tires will never be sent to the USA, most tires around the world have DOT codes. With the code, finding the factory is a simple internet search away.

A few minutes of interent searching turned up information suggesting that Avon is probably now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Cooper Tire, and American company based in Findlay, OH. Cooper also owns significant portions of Kumho and Kenda, and several other Asian tire companies. Cooper has a good reputation for high quality car and light truck tires in the US.

It is thus possible that Avon RRs are not made in their factory in the UK, but in some other country. RRs are not Avon's premier motorcycle tire. If Cooper-Avon were to move production to Asia, RRs might go. That opens up many possibilities for quality problems. When I worked in Firestone tire factories in Mexico, I dealt with those possibilities all day long. Among the poteential problems are:

* Local management not caring about quality
      * Local management not understanding how to manage a factory to produce high quality parts
      * Differences in tire building equipment and other kinds of equipment between the factory where the tires are made, and the factory for which the production process was designed
      * Differences in raw materials, from country-to-country, can be large.

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
      Only just started reading this thread . Sorry .
      Just checked the Avons on my '77 GS750E and sure enough , the rear is "cracked" (more like SPLIT) . The tread has long splits going around the tyre (down in the grooves) . Scary stuff . I'm fairly careful with checking pressures so that's not an issue . $hit tyres that I'll never buy again . Pity , because they felt very planted , wet or dry .Bring back the Spitfire II's please .

Cheers , Simon .
      Previous reports and photos have showed cracking near the bead. In the bead region, bias tires flex a lot, and very hard bead compounds join to very soft sidewall compounds. Mismatch between those pairs of compounds has seemed to me to be the most likely cause of the cracking reported until now.

Reports of cracks in the tread area are something else entirely. This suggests many possible problems, including carcass design, raw material problems, and contamination of non-tread compounds in the tread rubber. Would it be possible to post a photo of these cracks?
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

After reading these threads, I took my roadriders back to the dealer. Switched them out for the Dunlop touring elite II. The problem for me is that my back is a 17 inch and Dunlop doesn't produce that tire anymore in the Elite's. Love these tires as I have 300k clocked on them over the years on 2 GS1100's. Usually get about 10K in the back and 12K for the front.

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
          Reports of cracks in the tread area are something else entirely. This suggests many possible problems, including carcass design, raw material problems, and contamination of non-tread compounds in the tread rubber. Would it be possible to post a photo of these cracks?
          I don't know if he'll have a chance to snap a pic before it's crated for the trip to Australia. Last night he described it to me as running the length of the tread's center groove, and pretty deep. I asked if the cords were visible, and he said no.

He missed this thread for quite a while, so you might ask via PM.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Would it be possible to post a photo of these cracks?
            Bonanzadave posted some pictures in post #79.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
            1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

Originally posted by mforbes View Post
              After reading these threads, I took my roadriders back to the dealer. Switched them out for the Dunlop touring elite II. The problem for me is that my back is a 17 inch and Dunlop doesn't produce that tire anymore in the Elite's. Love these tires as I have 300k clocked on them over the years on 2 GS1100's. Usually get about 10K in the back and 12K for the front.

1100 E or L ?

Did you have the RRs mounted yet ? I swapped Dunlop 491 Tour Elites for the RRs and there was a night and day difference. Long story short the Dunlops sucked. The Road Riders gave me so much more confidence in the corners and wet roads they put the Dunlops to shame. People tell me the Tour Elites are HD tires. Ive got a nearly brand new 491 Dunlop RWL front you can have.
              Last edited by bonanzadave; 06-23-2011, 11:39 PM.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                1100 E or L ?

Did you have the RRs mounted yet ? I swapped Dunlop 491 Tour Elites for the RRs and there was a night and day difference. Long story short the Dunlops sucked. The Road Riders gave me so much more confidence in the corners and wet roads they put the Dunlops to shame. People tell me the Tour Elites are HD tires. Ive got a nearly brand new 491 Dunlop RWL front you can have.
                Too bad they are such exceptional tires. If they were another ho hum run of the mill tire it would be no loss, but they are head and shoulders above the rest.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

RR Tires

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  1100 E or L ?

No, I didn't. I have the g model 1100. The 491's have never let me down over the years. Never a flat even with nails in them. Ran on snow and ice in London and back east. So my confidence in them is great.

Comment

Originally posted by fishfarm View Post
                    Bonanzadave posted some pictures in post #79.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0&postcount=79
                    Those are bead/sidewall cracks. I'd like to look at the tread cracks.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Those are bead/sidewall cracks. I'd like to look at the tread cracks.
                      I'm working on it .

I've been to busy having a $hit load of fun (can you have to much ???) . Sorry .

Cheers , Simon .
                      Last edited by simon kuether; 06-24-2011, 10:47 AM.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                        I'm working on it .

I've been to busy having a $hit load of fun (can you have to much ???) . Sorry .

Cheers , Simon .
                        Stop it or you'll go blind
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Finally got my act together .

Mine "cracked" like this ................................

Scary stuff .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

I have been looking at these as well and did some research. This is a common problem with there tires apparently.

Comments from someone who purchased at Motorcycle Superstore.

Great Tire but Sidewall Cracking Made it Unsafe

I had Avons on my bike when I got it - really impressed with the handling and feel so I went with a new back tire. At 4K I pulled the tire due to severe cracking on the sidewall. The tires were manufactured just a few months before I purchased them but after six months they looked like they had be stored in a barn for ten years. I would say the tread was about half used up, plenty of life left in them. Pressing on the sidewall from inside the tire, the wall felt very thin, almost like you could push your finger through at the cracks. I spoke highly of the tires when I bought them but now I can’t recommend the brand.

another....

They develop sidewall cracks

Sidewall cracked near the rim on one side all the way around in under 1000 miles in less than three months. Avon has QC problems

Comment

Going by their perceived lack of care factor when these problems are reported (just take it back to the dealer for a swap etc.), that would lead me to believe that the last statement about QC problems would probably be the most accurate.

By that, I mean they expect to get these cracking issues, and therefore it's no skin off their nose when someone reports it because they have a process to just send you back to the dealer...

On the one hand, I don't think they'd do that unless they were confident there's no structural concerns that make it dangerous (that would be gross negligence if there was a risk there), on the other hand it would be good if they could own up to the issues, recall the affected tyres, and fix it for future batches...
                              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I am going with Dunlop GT 501's, not taking any chances

Comment

Working...
                                X