Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting probs, misfiring, the usual suspects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting probs, misfiring, the usual suspects.

Ok here's the deal..

I am the proud owner of a 1980 GS550L. I've had the bike for a couple, three years and I've had these particular problems with it the whole time. It's pretty well what I believe to be stock (stock exaust, intake, etc.) Now when it's cold and the choke's on, it will (usually) start within a few cranks. But here's the strange part. When it's warm and you shut it off or it stalls, it is EXTREMLY hard to start again. You can almost forget about starting it with the starter, but the ol' push-n'-start method works will start it fine. Once you get it started it runs fine, with one exception and that brings me to my next issue. It pops out of the exause anywhere above 3500-4k rpms and has, as a result, a slight miss. I believe it's running lean on cylinder no. 1, as the rest of the exaust pipes will heat up long before no. 1 will. The problem there is I have had the carbs apart and cleaned them as extensivly as I could without a dip. And yes, that includes replacing some o-rings and cleaning the air jet and all orfices (it has the CV style carbs, of course). I've also had to deal with the dreaded R/R issues and a BBQ'd stator. Both have been replaced, but not before they cooked both of my coils, CDI box, and every bulb on the bike. (OUCH! o_O, $200) I also know that it has a pretty weak spark, but I'm gonna do the relay mod to it today, so that might help a little. Not sure if it'll help starting issues. I know I've never adjusted the valves in it, but I've only put about 300 miles on it since I got it (sad I know T_T) and the PO didn't know anything about the bike, as he never had it running. It's got 84XX miles on it, so it still has alot of life left in it. But I'm pretty well at the end of my rope with it and I'm about to give up and get rid of it, although, I don't want to. Any help would be appreciated.

Josh

Oh i almost forgot to mention that it has an idling problem too. If you set it to idle around 2k, it'll settle down to about 1k after 2-3 mins and may even stall out completly.

Comment

Sounds like you need to and are addressing the spark concerns first. It is likely that the spark being weak is part of the problem. USUALLY...when an engine is hard to start HOT, it means that it is running rich. You have have gone through the carbs however, it is nearly impossible to get them clean without the dreaded soak. It is really simple. I agree that #1 is lean which is also adding to you issue.

WELCOME to the GSR...what a GREAT place to call home!

Comment

Ya know what? I was looking on bass cliff's website and I did the Coil Relay mod and it runs nearly like a dream. It's still got a little bit of a miss, but I believe it to be a syncronization issue, or #1 may still be gummed up a lil. Now it barly gets one hit in before it starts and at least it's ridable. I appreciate the input ^^. And thanks for the welcome!

Also, I'm gonna need to put some fresh plugs in it and that may help even more.

Josh
        Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2009, 10:04 PM. Reason: Cause I'm a DeeEEeeEEeee...

Comment

Working...
        X