Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, replaced rear shocks, do I need fronts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, replaced rear shocks, do I need fronts?

I am new to bikes, and wouldnt have know my bike needed shocks had you guys here told me it did.

How do you know that you need new front springs? Or seals? Or oil? Or???

If the seals don't leak you don't need them. Fork oil is one of the most overlooked maintainance items on any bike. You would be surprised how filthy it gets. As for springs you can do a static sag check to get an idea of where you're at or pull the springs and take some measurements to see if they are in spec.

Comment

So if I wanted to do a check without ripping the bike apart ( I need it to get to work every day) just to get a "whoa, that ain't right" idea, what would I do?

With my rears it was easy, I burned a strap I had put around the back to hold a bag on and it was over 6" above the rear tire, burned it off by the end of my road.

Fronts seem mushier than the new MDI's on the back but arent they supposed to be?

Comment

Get the front end up in the air with the wheel off the ground. Take a measurement between the bottom of the lower triple and the top of the fork lowers. Then with both wheels on the ground and your weight in the seat take another measurement. If your sag is more than about 1/3 of the total fork travel the springs are too light or worn out.

You really should consider flushing the fork and replacing the oil.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2009, 05:55 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

I will totally consider it, heh heh. No seriously I will add it to the list, just finding it REALLY hard to get the wife to let me work on the bike when "just an hour" always turns into 3-4.

When I play the "it's unsafe unless I fix it" card I get "then stop riding it" response, well played mrs. donimo, well played indeed.

I only "need" to ride it about 10km on 30-40mph roads, so it seems safe so far until I find time right?

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post
            I will totally consider it, heh heh. No seriously I will add it to the list, just finding it REALLY hard to get the wife to let me work on the bike when "just an hour" always turns into 3-4.

When I play the "it's unsafe unless I fix it" card I get "then stop riding it" response, well played mrs. donimo, well played indeed.

I only "need" to ride it about 10km on 30-40mph roads, so it seems safe so far until I find time right?
            I knew that there was something different about the "island"...ya guys use both measurements for distance and speed!

Another not so scientific method is by sitting on the bike while it's on both wheels and while holding the front brake, rock it back and forth as hard as you can. You should be able to see where the seals wipe the fork tubes. If you have more than 5" (you'll have to do the metric conversion for me) of travel you most likely need more fork oil and OR new springs. If you opt for the both, may I suggest the progressive springs. I hear they make a world of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
              I knew that there was something different about the "island"...ya guys use both measurements for distance and speed!

Another not so scientific method is by sitting on the bike while it's on both wheels and while holding the front brake, rock it back and forth as hard as you can. You should be able to see where the seals wipe the fork tubes. If you have more than 5" (you'll have to do the metric conversion for me) of travel you most likely need more fork oil and OR new springs. If you opt for the both, may I suggest the progressive springs. I hear they make a world of difference.
              Ha, nah I just try to convert for y'all, but I am better at some than others. I am ok at "normal" road speeds because I used to live 5min from the border and got used to the 30-50mph signs, where it gets weird for me is most of us think in small stuff in inches/feet (I am 6'5" tall) but for longer stuff its meters and km (the exit is 1500m away).

I will test er out when I get home, so much to do, does it ever end? hah, not sure I want it too!

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post
                just finding it REALLY hard to get the wife to let me work on the bike when "just an hour" always turns into 3-4.

She CAN be replaced. Fix your bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You can stiffen up the front springs by choping off a hunk and replacing the lost height with a spacer. Try 3 inches for a start and increase as needed. And replace the fork oil while you are messing with it - use 15W.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                  X