83-86 550 2 barrel carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83-86 550 2 barrel carbs

Anyone got access to some right NOW & can give me measurements of the FILTER side of a carb? I need the height & width of the opening the filter clamps to when putting pods on the carb. Thanks, Ray.

Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?

Comment

Ray.....sorry I didn't get back to you today. I've been at the Hospital all day and will be back there tomorrow as we are admitting my 9 month old daughter tomorrow for severe dehydration and malnutrition due to severe diahrrea and bacterial infection. I started to take this airbox off today and it's a PITA!! I'll get back to you in about an hour.....

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
        Ray.....sorry I didn't get back to you today. I've been at the Hospital all day and will be back there tomorrow as we are admitting my 9 month old daughter tomorrow for severe dehydration and malnutrition due to severe diahrrea and bacterial infection. I started to take this airbox off today and it's a PITA!! I'll get back to you in about an hour.....

Paul
        ummmmmI say wait to get back to him dude. It sounds like your doughter needs you now more than his bike.

Jake

Comment

the info he's looking for is for my bike!! We are attempting to get the correct pods for my 550ES.....

Comment

I'm searching for the info Paul. In the meantime you might find this interesting, it's from the Old Q&A.

DATE: September 27, 1998
            QUESTION: Performance info needed - 1983 GS550
            I have a 83/84 GS 550 es that I am racing in AMA/CCS sportsman competition here in Fla. Do you know of any place that I can get tech tips for engine updates, help on those miserable dualthroat carbs, cam degreeing numbers, performance parts availability, etc.? I can find listings for headers, jetkits, and such, but I would like to know what was done to these bikes (the 550tscc)back when they were new. Do you know if Yoshimura, or Yoshima, ever fiddled with them? Any help that you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated!
            I have the chassis working pretty well at present, with Katana forks, brakes, and wheels, and GSXR shock/w modified linkage. I would like a little more guts in the engine though. At present the carbs are set up with 118 mains, 37.5 pilots @2-3/4 turns out,and sc15 needles. I'm running a yoshi header, a k&n filter, and undercut trans. I have the ignition advanced 4deg.On the top end it's good for about 125mph as geared. But I would like more grunt in the mid-range. I realize this is all pretty confusing, but if you have any insights, I would sure be interested in hearing them.
            RIDER: David Starling
            REPLY: Zack Schultz
            I have an 84 GS550 myself. I'll start with your last comment first. These things were supposedly good for 125 new. I saw this myself (indicated) several times. And I'm glad someone is campaigning one. Tuning the carbs. Think of them as siamesed singles and the problems minimize. Everything is separate except the float bowls. Hence, the bowls are undersized. Make sure that there is enough fuel flowing to feed the motor.
            Kevin Cameron once wrote that some buzzy engines (and this qualifies0 have trouble with fuel frothing at sustained high R's (like Daytona). Foam doesn't lend itself to accurate jetting. Adding weight to the carb dampens it's vibration and frothing is eliminated. I think he said something about a pound of welding rod wrapped around the float bowl. I did speak to someone a few years back in the Galveston area that was racing one of these. I don't keep up on the class rules, but he was using 600 Hurricane pistons (63 mm) in the engine. These are the same size that Wiseco was using in their big bore kits, so there's metal to go that far over (+3mm). Good luck and pass along results.

Comment

carb measurements

I don't have easy access to an open set of carbs but I measured the airbox that I had on hand as they look to be the same size as the attachments for the carb boots on the carb side.. They measured 3 11/16" long by 2" high and they're shaped like an elongated egg. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by jcoov1104 View Post
                I don't have easy access to an open set of carbs but I measured the airbox that I had on hand as they look to be the same size as the attachments for the carb boots on the carb side.. They measured 3 11/16" long by 2" high and they're shaped like an elongated egg. Hope this helps
                That should work for him.

Comment

skreemer is running pods on his '83 which I think uses the same carbs.

Comment

thanks for the help so far guys.......

Comment

Paul, don't worry about this until your daughter is ok!!! After that we can deal with this! Family ALWAYS comes before the bike!!! If anyone else has a set & can give me the measurements right from the CARBS it will be appreciated. Ray.

Comment

did we find anything out yet Ray?

looks like we are in the clear now as we spent most of the day at Children's hospital with the baby and we came home this afternoon in the clear.....for now.

I was working on my bike this afternoon after we got home and decided that if I take the box off I don't think it will be easy to get back on temporarily just to take it off again if/when we get some pods for me.

will the info on the airbox measurements not work?

Let me know where we're at....

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                          Paul, don't worry about this until your daughter is ok!!! After that we can deal with this! Family ALWAYS comes before the bike!!! If anyone else has a set & can give me the measurements right from the CARBS it will be appreciated. Ray.
                          Ray i can measure for you tonight, but wont be able to give you an answer till tomorrow as i dont have interweb at the house currently..

Comment

thanks cafekid,

we could really use the help on this issue......

Paul

Comment

cafekid,

did you get to measuring the carbs for us?

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X