Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping tach

Hey guys,

I put a new (to me) tach on my bike after my accident and now the tach likes to jump around. It will hold correctly, then bounce around a bit, then settle, bounce, settle, bounce. You get the idea. You think it is the tach or the cable?

Hi,

Mine does this once in a while. I take the cable off and squirt WD40 into the gauge. It settles down for a while. You might as well lube the cable while you have it disconnected.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

My gauge seems to do this after it warms up. It wobbles from 0-5000 RPMs but as soon as you get near the redline it wobbles all over the place, and sometimes sticks. Because of this I don't rev it up as much, as not knowing what exact RPM you're at is kind of bad, heh.

Thing is, I have a brand new tach gear and cable. It's either my camshaft gear (which is ground up and has some chunks missing) or the tach itself. Not sure, but it'd be worth a shot to clean it out and regrease it. The gauge, that is.

Comment

I had one do that and it turned out to be a pinched cable. Check that 1st. If it isn't pinched, pull the cable off of the bike and turn it by hand.

Comment

Both my tach and speedo did this, made an awful row to boot. I tried the WD40 approach like BassCliff but I found it didn't last very long so I resorted to 3 in 1 in the back of the gauge and so far haven't had any more problems.
          Last edited by Wallowgreen; 04-28-2009, 08:42 PM.
          It's smoke that make electronic components work.
          Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
          '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
          '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
          '82 GS1000SZ
          '82 GS1100GL
          '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Working...
          X