Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I replace some electrical components?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I replace some electrical components?

I have read that the only real issue that the GS had was with some electrical problems. I am not currently having any issues, but was wondering if I should be pro-active? Should I replace the stator, regulator/rectifier? Are there any other components I should consider replacing? I just read of a few horror stories of frying wires and stuff like that which I would like to avoid if possible. Thanks for the advice.

No

It would be a very good idea to check your wiring and connections but replacing electrical parts that are performing as expected would be foolish in my humble opinion. If you hang onto the bike for several years, you'll probably get your chance.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Chances are your electrical connectors have not been apart ever. Thats 26 years worth of corrosion. Corrosion is electrical resistance and resistance is friction and friction is heat. If it gets too bad your plastic connectors will melt. Best to undo each and every connector one at a time and clean them with some electrical contact cleaner and then seal them up with dielectric grease.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Ditto on what the other guys said. First thing is to go through the Stator Papers and do the tests just to be sure the circuits are good. Then go through the entire wiring harness and disconnect each and every connector, inspect and re-attach using dielectric grease. Check and clean EVERY ground wire. Remove, inspect and clean the fuse block. I know it seems like a lot but it's better to do this than to just start throwing money at things that may not be bad. You may also want to consider adding a volt meter to your system to allow you to monitor the status of the charging system.

My .02 worth.

Comment

Today 05:08 PM bonanzadave Chances are your electrical connectors have not been apart ever. Thats 26 years worth of corrosion. Corrosion is electrical resistance and resistance is friction and friction is heat. If it gets too bad your plastic connectors will melt. Best to undo each and every connector one at a time and clean them with some electrical contact cleaner and then seal them up with dielectric grease.
          +1 on what Dave said. If your system is charging properly then your Stator & R/R are working correctly. While the GS charging system is not the strongest out there IMHO most charging issues are from bad grounds or connections. Run the extra ground off the R/R and clean your connections and you shoud be fine. I am still running the OEM stator and R/R on an 81 and have no electrical issues but I did go thourgh the entire harness and headlight bucket when I got it.
          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
          AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Thanks for the advice. That makes a whole lot of sense. I will pick up some grease and spend some time cleaning the connections and running that ground. I believe I could use a ground from the starter solenoid as sometimes when I push the starter button nothing happens and then all of the sudden it will work. Sometimes it will start to crank and then just stop. I have to let go of the starter button and try again. I read somewhere that a ground from the solenoid will usually solve the problem. Thanks again for the great advice.

Comment

Hi Mr. 1929fordtudor,

Originally posted by 1929fordtudor View Post
              I believe I could use a ground from the starter solenoid as sometimes when I push the starter button nothing happens and then all of the sudden it will work. Sometimes it will start to crank and then just stop. I have to let go of the starter button and try again. I read somewhere that a ground from the solenoid will usually solve the problem. Thanks again for the great advice.
              Or it could just be a dirty start button. The assembly can be disassembled and cleaned. Cleaning all your connections and grounds will go a long way toward preserving the electrical health of your bike.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X