Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three spoke wheels for 83" GS750ES

Greetings-

I am working on a 1983 GS750ES. I have purchased a complete 2007 GSXR 600 front end. I would like to purchase a three spoke wheel to match the one on the front, however, I was thinking of sticking a 160 tire on the rear, and not mess with swaping swingarms for a fatter tire.
    Anybody have an idea of what years I could watch for with all this in mind?

Thanks for your time & replys.

'88 and '89 GSXR750, '89 GSXR1100, and late model katanas use a 4.5" wheel that is needed for a 160. Are you looking to go with the swirled 3 spokes or straight 3 spokes?

These are the swirled 3 spokes on my bike.

Comment

Three spoke wheels

Hi Billy-

I was planning on useing the straight spoke wheels, I figure that they will be easier to find & less expensive. Yours look great! Is your swing arm stock? How do you like the engine?
      Did you keep the gearing stock or change it?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckarooBanzai View Post
        Hi Billy-

I was planning on useing the straight spoke wheels, I figure that they will be easier to find & less expensive. Yours look great! Is your swing arm stock? How do you like the engine?
        Did you keep the gearing stock or change it?

Thanks for the help!
        Stock swingarm and I'm glad you asked about gearing. The 17" radial has less circumfrance than the stock 17" bias ply tire so your gearing needs to change. A 16/42 combo will give you about the same rpm per mph as stock gearing with stock wheels.

The engine is basically stock other than the carbs, exhaust, and some mild porting. The carbs alone are probably the most bang for the buck you can get and for a bolt on item they really wake up an engine. If I don't keep an eye on the tach when ripping through the gears it will run right past redline and still pull hard. I've actually run up to 13,000 rpm and it still pulls hard in the lower gears.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
          '88 and '89 GSXR750, '89 GSXR1100, and late model katanas use a 4.5" wheel that is needed for a 160. Are you looking to go with the swirled 3 spokes or straight 3 spokes?

These are the swirled 3 spokes on my bike.
          nissan and suzuki..... it looks like my house!!

Comment

We've bought Nissan since we were first married. Started off with a Sentra, then an Altima, followed by an Xterra. Now we have the 350 and a Murano as a MIL vehicle. For work I have a '99 GMC Sierra.

Comment

Cams?

Used to have a Nissan Maxima, probably one of the most comfortable cars I ever drove & FAST too! What did you end up useing for cams?

Comment

Stock cams right now. I'm going to be going to Cosworth 12:1 CR roadracing pistons soon. I have a brand new head minus the valve train that I'm going to send to Ray to work on. He recommends a G7 intake and either a G4 or G5 exhaust cam with those pistons. Maybe oversize valves if he can find them. I have a, '83 750 crank and rods I'll most likely be using too.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                  We've bought Nissan since we were first married. Started off with a Sentra, then an Altima, followed by an Xterra. Now we have the 350 and a Murano as a MIL vehicle. For work I have a '99 GMC Sierra.
                  Nice lookin 350 Billy! Im a big fan of Nissan as well , have had several Maxima's over the years until I had to have a truck then went with a Toyota.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                    Nice lookin 350 Billy! Im a big fan of Nissan as well , have had several Maxima's over the years until I had to have a truck then went with a Toyota.
                    Thanks Joe. After havinng it awhile the stock wheels looked a little drab so we switched and went with 18" wheels. 245 up front and 275 in the back. It's a blast to drive.

Comment

'98 and newer Katana has the straight spoke 4.5's. I was thinking of trying 16/43 on mine.
                      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Greetings-

I am working on a 1983 GS750ES. I have purchased a complete 2007 GSXR 600 front end. I would like to purchase a three spoke wheel to match the one on the front, however, I was thinking of sticking a 160 tire on the rear, and not mess with swaping swingarms for a fatter tire.
                        Anybody have an idea of what years I could watch for with all this in mind?

Thanks for your time & replys.
                        FYI the newer gsxr wheels are neither the straight spoke design as on bandits etc or the curved spoke ones as on billy ricks bike, the wheel bearing ID is much bigger also so finding an exact match that will bolt directly into your swingarm without engineering work is simply not possible
                        sorry to be the bringer of bad news mate

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                          '98 and newer Katana has the straight spoke 4.5's. I was thinking of trying 16/43 on mine.
                          Dee, on your 750 you should consider a 17/43 combo. The 16/42 I run makes the engine feel a little busy at highway speeds. I about to install a 17 front to go with the 42 rear. With the 16 it feels like the bike needs another gear.

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                            FYI the newer gsxr wheels are neither the straight spoke design as on bandits etc or the curved spoke ones as on billy ricks bike, the wheel bearing ID is much bigger also so finding an exact match that will bolt directly into your swingarm without engineering work is simply not possible
                            sorry to be the bringer of bad news mate
                            After many postings & questions, I am thinking I may have to switch swingarms. I have seen 2004-05 GSXR 750 swingarms with mono shock on Ebay, starting at $55.00. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be involved in this kind of upgrade, or if its even feasable?

Comment

After many postings & questions, I am thinking I may have to switch swingarms. I have seen 2004-05 GSXR 750 swingarms with mono shock on Ebay, starting at $55.00. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be involved in this kind of upgrade, or if its even feasable?
                              A couple of things will probably need to be addressed right off the bat. The pivot bolt on the GSXR is about the same size as a GSXR axle and the frame at the pivot point will be too narrow. Both can be worked around but it has to be done right.

Comment

Working...
                              X