Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these clutches interchangeable ?

Hi

I have a clutch from a 1980 GS1000G, would anyone know if it is interchangeable with the chain drive GS1000 models? Thanks

No.. the 1000G clutch is slightly smaller & the clutch basket is different. I think the 1000G & 1100G models interchange.
    I found that out when I took my G apart to look at the clutch (had a spare 1000E on hand & it didn't fit).

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      No.. the 1000G clutch is slightly smaller & the clutch basket is different. I think the 1000G & 1100G models interchange.
      I found that out when I took my G apart to look at the clutch (had a spare 1000E on hand & it didn't fit).

Dan
      Thanks for that information Dan...

Comment

I have a '791000L clutch in my '801000G. They are slightly different, but they can be interchanged. I think I may have had to swap the primary gear? I have a funny feeling one was angled and one had straight teeth.

Can't remember how, but it's still in there and running. It gets the job done and I can burn out or bring the nose up a bit on launch.
        Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Originally posted by AirCooledHeaven View Post
          I have a clutch from a 1980 GS1000G, would anyone know if it is interchangeable with the chain drive GS1000 models? Thanks
          The primary gear is the same, as is the inner diameter, but the basket and hub are taller. So it won't interchange without machining. I'm working out the height now to fit an 81 GS1000G clutch into my 78 GS1000.

- Richard

Comment

the 1000G uses the same clutch as used on the 16 valve 1100.

Comment

See Nessism's 1000G clutch basket in 1000C/E/S? thread for further discussion, and another option - clutch cover spacer. I'm now trying to track down a spacer.

- Richard

Comment

Originally posted by rcp View Post
                See Nessism's 1000G clutch basket in 1000C/E/S? thread for further discussion, and another option - clutch cover spacer. I'm now trying to track down a spacer.

- Richard
                Hey Richard,

Why is the cover spacer needed? To get proper fit of the release mechanism?
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by spchips View Post
                  I have a '791000L clutch in my '801000G. They are slightly different, but they can be interchanged. I think I may have had to swap the primary gear? I have a funny feeling one was angled and one had straight teeth.

Can't remember how, but it's still in there and running. It gets the job done and I can burn out or bring the nose up a bit on launch.
                  Oh right, you're going the other way. A chain will fit into a shaft, but not vice versa
                  Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Hey Richard,

Why is the cover spacer needed? To get proper fit of the release mechanism?
                    I don't know - I was searching info on this and came across the suggestion from trippivot. But my quick test fitting tonight (with cases split, which makes it *way* easier to see how it might go in) shows that the top of the basket clears the inside of the clutch cover, with some room to spare. Not sure about the mechanism yet, because it *doesn't* clear the inside of the clutch cover mounting flange. I think if you clearanced that by maybe a bit more than 1mm, you might be able to make it fit.

I think at this point, my approach will be the shorten it though.

- Richard

Comment

Working...
                    X