Time to take up Quilting @^&%*&%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to take up Quilting @^&%*&%

Man did ever bugger something up! Rebuilt the carbs on my GS850 has BS32SS carbs now the danr thing won't ever sound like it wants to fire over. Two backfires through the carbs, one through the exhaust. Plug #1 seemed to be completly dry. No clue what the heck I did wrong all help is needed or I may lose my mind!
    WI Smoke

Did you prime the float bowls?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

With the risk of sounding stupid, how do I do that?

Comment

Turn the petcock to PRI for a minute or so, then back to on.
        Unless you have a 1980 GS 850, then you're hosed.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Turn the petcock to PRI for a minute or so, then back to on.
          Unless you have a 1980 GS 850, then you're hosed.
          More like you'll be sucking on the vacuum hose to get it to prime.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

OK ALL the INFO>>> Using my snoblower gas tank for a remote tank (only one hose to connect, what do I do w/ the vaccum hose from the carbs?) , tring to get the boots that connect carbs to airbox to seal. I think the boots are a lost battle they are more like rock than rubber! ( any ideas about softening them ?) It is a '80 GS850.
            My head is going to look like Mt. St. Helens
            Thanks in advance!!!
            WI Smoke

Comment

OK, using your snowblower tank is good, just make sure it's not much higher than the stock tank when you use it.

You will have to set the petcock to PRI to get fuel to flow, and, with your '80 petcock, you will have to start fuel flowing with a quick suck on the vacuum line, then it will flow on its own. You need to plug the vacuum line on carb #2 that usually connects to the petcock. After giving the fuel about a minute to fill the float bowls, set the 'choke' and try to start the bike.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Mr. WI Smoke,

Hey guys, I'm a bit confused. As some of you may know, I have a 1980 GS850G. My petcock looks like this:

As you can tell, it's not the dreaded "slotted, no reserve" petcock. Did a previous owner replace it? Or is this the stock petcock for my bike?

Mr. WI Smoke, You might as well replace all the carb boots and be done with it for another 20 years or so. New boots are very easy to work with.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

BassCliff,
                  That is what my '80 GS850 pet rooster looks like also and I know it is the original. So damn frustrating, sticking $400 into the bike this year including new Morgan Carbtune and now I can't even get it to think about starting. Think I need to take a few days off of the project before I do anything I will regret.
                  WI Smoke

Comment

Make sure the airbox and filters are installed or starting will be difficult. Also if the intake side boot clamps are not all the way tight it will not draw fuel into the engine.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                    X