Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOISE: cam chain vs valve

GS1100EZ

There certainly is pining coming from valve area. Usually happening when bike is warmed up. Wondering if there is a difference in the sound between cam chain issue or loosey goosey valves.

I'll be digging in the head this weekend....

My 650 does this too. It has around 25,000 miles on it, and don't know when the last time valves where checked. The noise goes away when I let the clutch go at take off. This leads me to believe its a loose chain?...I also get a lot of vibration at around 5000 rpm.

Comment

Tick-tick-tick.....= valves (usually a sound of re-assurance that your clearances aren't too tight, but if you haven't checked them you need to).

Clackety-clickety ...= cam chain. Check the cam chain adjuster. ALWAYS follow the manual (easy to get right, very easy to get wrong if you don't).

Apologies for that being my best description of the typical engine noises - I can do a real good impression of a cow though ..........
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

hmmm, so if it is a distinctive "on-off" tick-tick-tick it is the valves?

does one appear at different times that the other, like low/high rpm/load?

Comment

Tic Tic tack tack

It is kinda ticy, but it will also tock, except when it is claking then it is clackity clackity . Now when it warms up it can cliity click clak. This would be ok as long at it doesnt start to clickity clickity Kluck. If it does that youu are not to far away from clickity KLUNK KLUNK which can only lead to KLUNK KNCOK KNOCK.

Why not pull the valve cover check the valves and the chain

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            Tick-tick-tick.....= valves (usually a sound of re-assurance that your clearances aren't too tight, but if you haven't checked them you need to).
            Yeah, that's the noise. I've been assuming its the valves. She fires right up so I'm hoping they are over spec. PO said the top end was done 2.5k ago. I'll be digging in there this weekend. waiting for a few bolt gaskets from bikebandit so I can tackle a few pesky oil leaks I have a feeling are coming from some head bolts .

Never did a valve job on a 16 before. From what I've read, seems easier than dealing with shims.

what should I look for to make sure the came chain is in order? any symptoms I should be looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
              . what should I look for to make sure the cam chain is in order? any symptoms I should be looking for?
              The manual will show you how to measure across 20 links and tells you what that measurement should be. If it's not a high mileage bike it'll almost certainly be in spec.

The chain should also feel fairly taut, with no sloppiness. If you suspect it's too loose then it's worth removing the tensioner and checking that it functions ok. They can get worn / mucky / sticky etc. Again, follow the manual procedure to the letter - easy to do. There's also a good tutorial on:

Also for your valve clearances there's:

79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                The manual will show you how to measure across 20 links and tells you what that measurement should be. If it's not a high mileage bike it'll almost certainly be in spec.

The chain should also feel fairly taut, with no sloppiness. If you suspect it's too loose then it's worth removing the tensioner and checking that it functions ok. They can get worn / mucky / sticky etc. Again, follow the manual procedure to the letter - easy to do. There's also a good tutorial on:

Also for your valve clearances there's:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...adjustment.pdf
                thanks for the info. I have already DL'd the valve adjusment. Gonna make the dowel tool after work today.

Comment

I adjusted my valves about a month ago
                  still alot of ticking sound coming from teh top end there

when i first started it up after adjusting, it idled down quiet as could be, then got noisy agin

it woul dbe nice if it was quiet as could be tho

Comment

These 16 valve heads are noisy. I have stainless steel valves and mine sounds like a loose silverware drawer.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      It is kinda ticy, but it will also tock, except when it is claking then it is clackity clackity . Now when it warms up it can cliity click clak. This would be ok as long at it doesnt start to clickity clickity Kluck. If it does that youu are not to far away from clickity KLUNK KLUNK which can only lead to KLUNK KNCOK KNOCK.

Why not pull the valve cover check the valves and the chain

Good luck
                      Fires got you bored Jim?!!! LOL!!!! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X