No announcement yet.

Oil Cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you live in the southern states (or austrailia) and have to deal with city traffic, a oil cooler is a good investment.
    my bike came with a derale oil cooler and last summer I ran into the multibillion dollar parking lot they call highway improvement, and suddenly having to drop from 70 mph to a crawl for 30minutes caused the engine temps to spike high enough to singe my leg hair through heavy pants, I was glad I had the cooler.
    but for people who never have to deal with city riding a oil cooler is not nesesary but nice to have.

Comment

As suggested by Tbarnby, I found a Lockhart Model 500 Oil Cooler at Dennis Kirk. (www.denniskirk.com) It was listed in their Outlet Store section under Harley Davidson. They are listed as discontinued items, so they probably won't last long. the dimensions are as follows:

L 8" x H 4" x W 1 1/8"

They have a few Model 500's and 600's left in stock. After speaking with their tech department, I feel that the 500's should be easier to mount. (The 600's inlet & outlet tubes exit out of the backside near the top. The 500's exit straight out of the bottom)

DK's Part Numbers for the 500 series are 49220, 49221, and 49234. Part numbers for the 600 series are 49227, 49231, and 49232. If you order via telephone, (800-328-9280) make sure you tell them you saw it in their Outlet Store on the Web. It was $30.00 less expensive. (They tried to charge list price over the phone)

I will let you know how installation goes in about a week.

Comment

Oil coolers

Do these parts from Denniskirk.com include the fittings and lines?
        What about the alternate oil filter cover? Is this needed for better flow?
        My temp runs up to the 160C mark on a hot day in the city, or when I push it hard on the highway.

Comment

where exactly do you install a cooler? where do the in and out lines go?

Comment

The oil cooler I had on my Harley was an automotive or truck power steering fluid cooler. 8)
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

The Dennis Kirk kits are for a Harley. They come with rubber hose that will push onto hose barbs at the inlet and outlet on the cooler. As for mounting on a GS1100, there are two bolts next to the oil filter cover. (one on each side) I believe they have 1/2 inch NPT threads. You will have to purchase 90 degree fittings to attach the oil line there. I am going to try to mount the cooler where the horns bolt into the frame. I won't have the cooler in my hands until Wednesday. I will post the installation results by this weekend. As Pjackson advised in an earlier post, Earl's can also supply oil coolers. (with threaded fittings) They did not have a kit available for the GS1100. (At least not in the United States) They recommended purchasing the cooler first, figure out how you are going to mount it, then order the correct hose length with fittings. Unfortunately, they don't keep them in stock. If you have the time, this is not a bad option. You would wind up with a cleaner looking setup. (Steel braided lines, aluminum alloy fittings, etc.) You are probably looking at 4 weeks (and some serious coin) to get the job done. Earl's Part number is 20706. Dimesions are H 4" x L 8 1/4" x W 2" W/ -6 AN Male threads. They also offer them with NPT & BSP threads.

Comment

I usd the horn mounts and some aluminum flat stock along with stainless u bolts to make my mount for the 500cc honda junker oil cooler that i mounted on my gs1100e

Comment

Working...
                X