electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical problems

ok so u have an understanding on what has transpired ill recap. i bought my first bike from craigslist a GS850GT cause it was affordable and reviews werent all that bad in comparison to others. the guy i bought it from said it just need a carb cleaning cause it has been sitting...mhm any way i throw the money down and get the bike home. only firing on full choke. so i take the air cleaner, then carb and clean stuff up. put it back together and nothing with the aid of a jump it firied up however only on two cylinders and the left side ignigtion coil started smoking and oozing. ok i got a used pair from cali at a nice price threw it on and still same problem. so i threw a v meter and one was sparking at 2.4v and the other was at 7v and doing nothing. i swaped the plugs and what u know fired up but again only on the two cylinders. well i read on BikeCliffs site about a coil relay to get the full needed v to your coils. bought everything needed plus. while gentily pulling the harness out. i noticed that one of the plugs looked weird uppon close inspection noticed that it was cracked in half and partialy melted.well i labled each one letter and numberd to make it ez to put back where they came from, while doing this i found one wire that i dident see what was connected to it since it fell out of the plug. well i do the relay mod tripple checking everything. throw everything back together, and now theres no power at all going to any part of the bike.. and im loosing my mind

Originally posted by xxspikexx View Post
    i found one wire that i dident see what was connected to it since it fell out of the plug.
    What color(s) is/are the wire and where is it located on your gs850gt
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

it was a white multi-connector with the green/white from the stator that jumps to the r/r the attached pic below is what it DID look like before it crumbled and took me hours to piece it back together after i figured it out i replaced the connections. and there location is right behind the triple trees but after the coils. there was a blue connector with two yellow wires with bullets. everything looks close to the wiring diagram i found in the manual on BikeCliff's site. on that plug that i had to piece together on the male end was a jump wire to the r/r stator a white/red i eliminated the jump wire since the plug was obliterated and spade connected the two directly

btw the wire that was in the upper left of the male side closest to the seat and is what looks to be a solid possibly white wire.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2009, 09:59 AM. Reason: addition of facts

Comment

this picture is what it looks like now as well as a better idea of location. i believe it is supposed to a little more forward than it is at the moment.

Comment

have you tried disconnecting the battery (just so you don’t make “magic smoke” with your multi meter) and checking the resistance of the wires going to the coil back to their source(s)?

Comment

I have a 1980 GS850G with the fuel tank off at the moment, the connectors can be easily seen and I have the factory wiring diagram for it.
            As of yet, I am still unable to comprehend exactly what your question(s) is(are), or the statement(s) you are trying to make.

Comment

Spike,

Welocme toi GSR.

I have emailed you a schematic for 80 GS850G. Maybe that will help you determine the wire colors to the coils.

About no power to entire bike.
              I would say to start at the main fuse block.
              Sounds like maybe some of your rewiring has blown a fuse.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                I have a 1980 GS850G with the fuel tank off at the moment, the connectors can be easily seen and I have the factory wiring diagram for it.
                As of yet, I am still unable to comprehend exactly what your question(s) is(are), or the statement(s) you are trying to make.
                what I think he’s looking for is why one of his coils inset working correctly and when he was trying to find a solution to that he came across a broken/melted connector. xxspikexx am I in the ball park?

Comment

Or it it doesn't have power because the coil relay mod was incorrectly wired.
                  and now theres no power at all going to any part of the bike..
                  XXspikeXX, with the key on, does anything operate properly, such as the headlight?

Comment

actualy i was able to wire the coils correctly but when i started. i pulled the harness out and away from the frame to get easier access to the connections that i needed to see. I un-taped it i saw the connector (see earlier attached picture's) was partially melted and cracked. this is a multi wire connector to which connects the starter buttion..ect at least this is what i am led to assume since thats where the wires go. when i disconnected this multi wire plug it fell appart in my hands. and i from the peices that i had, figured the wireing configuration (I beleave). with the assistance of the wireing diagram from the GS850G Suzuki Service Manual. i re-did the connections since the orignal connector went to peices, with spade connectors and the assistance of the manual that i had. put everything back. turned the key and nothing is going on at all. the battery was connected, and fully charged. tested the voltage in the connectors that i attatched and .01v that obviously not good and im having trouble trying to get it figured and was wondering if someone has a more detailed diagram. or any other assistance is welcome. i am attatching the same pic as b4 so you know which connector i am speaking of

Comment

XXspikeXX, with the key on, does anything operate properly, such as the headlight?

nothing has power
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2009, 02:11 PM. Reason: adding quote for further clarification

Comment

i can also e-mail pictures of the relay mod to show what was done incase of incorrect wiring.

the connector that i am speaking of on my bike was in between the horns. it is the connection from the kill switch starter button on the rt throttle
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2009, 04:34 PM. Reason: addition 4 clarification

Comment

im sorry for the frequency of posting just im lost ive been working on it since 11pm last night with a lil sleep in between.

(im thinking of un-doing the coil mod and seeing what happens)

(un-did the mod no change, no lights, just nothing. checked all connections and i am not sure what i am missing) - 5.05pm
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2009, 05:07 PM. Reason: adding

Comment

xxspikexx,
                            Today is mothers day, so it might be a little hard for most people to respond to your requests in a timely fashion.

did you check the fuses as previously requested, for voltage on both sides of the fuses, with the key on and have you checked the fuses out of circuit (removed) for conductivity?

the only thing that I can think of, that could be the cause of your problem with no power; are the two black ground wires with the white tracer.
                            are those black with white wires connected to the grounding bolt at the front of the battery tray, or directly to the negative post of the battery?

I have the wiring diagram in hand and I am waiting your response.
                            Last edited by rustybronco; 05-10-2009, 06:14 PM.

Comment

xxspikexx,
                              Today is mothers day, so it might be a little hard for most people to respond to your requests in a timely fashion.

did you check the fuses as previously requested, for voltage on both sides of the fuses, with the key on and have you checked the fuses out of circuit (removed) for conductivity?

the only thing that I can think of, that could be the cause of your problem with no power; are the two black ground wires with the white tracer.
                              are those black with white wires connected to the grounding bolt at the front of the battery tray, or directly to the negative post of the battery?

I have the wiring diagram in hand and I am waiting your response.

well i did as asked and i feel like a bloody amateur (well i am when it comes to bikes) but this was common sense.. im sorry for my being annoying. its just when u work on something for so long and not coming up with any possible explanation. well to the point i did as asked and when i tested the main fuse for voltage and continuity i got no "ohm's" and no voltage. it turns out the main wasn't connected.. im a tool. anyway im still not sure if i have that connector hooked up right but at least i can test it now. thank everyone for your patience and time you all did help. with out you i would of been kicking myself for a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X