Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loctite Anti-Seize Compound 767 Questions

http://www.bikeman.com/LU3102.html

Has anyone used this stuff ? Is it ok for like exhaust bolts ? The reason I ask, I bought some of this stuff with the ideal of ordering stainless bolts for my engine and I wanted something to smear on those bolts before putting them in.

Anyway, seeing as how I had bought it, and I am also kicking around the ideal of buying a 4 into 1 exhaust, I was sitting here today bored. So, I thought I'd go out and see just how bad my exhaust bolts were stuck in there. To my surprise they came out, all of them, except one. After removing each bolt, I smeared them with this Loctite Anti-Seize Compound 767 and put them back in. The one bolt that seems stuck is now soaking in BP blaster.

I went for a short ride after I was finished ( before spraying the PB Blaster) and when I came back this stuff was smoking like crazy...looked like my bike was on fire. So has anyone used this Anti-Seize Compound ? It says it's rated to 1600 Deg F. Will all the smoking stop ? Or have I used the wrong stuff on my exhaust bolts ?
    Guess I could just ride the shyte out of it and see, right ? Thanks !

Oh, and no...I never paid $26.99 for it. Got a much better deal than that.

Yep, use exactly the same stuff but only put a smear on the thread. Also it seems to build up on the thread if you use it over and over as my sparks need a clean inbetween fittings.

Comment

I use it on pretty much every bolt other than engine internals. I use it on stainless exhaust bolts and never had it create smoke. You probably just overdid it with the anti-seize.

Comment

I bet that's what I've done. I loaded it on there pretty good. I figure since those exhaust bolts came out, I was going to make damn sure they didn't seize up on me later.

Maybe I should take the bolts back out that I loaded with anti-seize and clean them up a bit, or maybe just let them settle until the smoke stops ?

Comment

Originally posted by errorcauser View Post
          I bet that's what I've done. I loaded it on there pretty good. I figure since those exhaust bolts came out, I was going to make damn sure they didn't seize up on me later.

Maybe I should take the bolts back out that I loaded with anti-seize and clean them up a bit, or maybe just let them settle until the smoke stops ?
          I just use a little on the first few threads and let it work its way up the bolt while threading them in. A little bit goes a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
            I just use a little on the first few threads and let it work its way up the bolt while threading them in. A little bit goes a long way.
            Yes sir, i've over done it ...

I guess if the smoking doesn't settle down, i'll pull them back out and clean some off.

Comment

This may be a silly question, but...Loosing those exhaust bolts and removing them one at a time, then replacing them one at a time wouldn't cause my bike to run hot would it ? Wouldn't cause it to run lean because of an exhaust leak ? If I did mess the seals up, I'd hear them leaking and would know it for sure, right ?

I've rode all over the place before I did this, and no smoke coming from it like there was today.

I'd don't want to mess the thing up. I like it to much

Comment

Originally posted by errorcauser View Post
                This may be a silly question, but...Loosing those exhaust bolts and removing them one at a time, then replacing them one at a time wouldn't cause my bike to run hot would it ? Wouldn't cause it to run lean because of an exhaust leak ? If I did mess the seals up, I'd hear them leaking and would know it for sure, right ?

I've rode all over the place before I did this, and no smoke coming from it like there was today.

I'd don't want to mess the thing up. I like it to much
                Doubtful you messed anything up. The smoke is probably just from the grease in the anti-seize. If you didn't crank down on one bolt until you got the other one done you should be fine. The only thing that might happen is the gasket got crushed in an irregular manner. You can always replace the exhaust gaskets if you want to be safe. Z1 Enterprises has them and Jeff Saunders is a member here.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                  Doubtful you messed anything up. The smoke is probably just from the grease in the anti-seize. If you didn't crank down on one bolt until you got the other one done you should be fine. The only thing that might happen is the gasket got crushed in an irregular manner. You can always replace the exhaust gaskets if you want to be safe. Z1 Enterprises has them and Jeff Saunders is a member here.
                  Ok, thanks Billy. I've ordered from Z1 before, great service. I'll see what happens with it tomorrow. I'm on the fence as to if I should go with a 4 into 1 exhaust or stay with the stock pipes. I may order the gaskets just to be safe.

I just found this thread using search...

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2009, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Pulled the plugs today and looked at them. They're fine. Took it out and rode it for pretty good ride.

No more smoke.

I'm the anti-seize king.

Comment

Working...
                    X