Where to buy Berrrymans in Ontario Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy Berrrymans in Ontario Canada

I have been unsuccessful in finding Berrymans or some other carb cleaner here. I did find 4 litres made by Kleen Flo but it was $55 + taxes. 4 litres would last me 5 years.

I would like to hear what worked for you.

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

I am in BC and was told it just can't be sold anymore, large cans of cleaner are bad for the environment, but aerosol cans of it are fine, sounds like a government plan to me...

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
      I have been unsuccessful in finding Berrymans or some other carb cleaner here. I did find 4 litres made by Kleen Flo but it was $55 + taxes. 4 litres would last me 5 years.

I would like to hear what worked for you.
      No Berrymans in Ontario as far as I can tell, and I called around quite a bit. I found KleenFlo, and CRC Tyme-1 in gallon (4 litre) cans. I ended up going with the CRC Tyme-1 because it was easiest to fetch. A smaller can with dip basket would be convenient, but it doesn't seem to exist here. It's either aerosols or the 1 gallon can, or a 5 gallon barrel.

This stuff isn't really a consumable, like the aerosols are - you dip your parts in it, then put it back in the can for next use. The only bit that gets consumed is the little that doesn't drain off your parts until they're rinsed. Thus I think you've got at least a 5 year supply no matter what quantity you buy.

As dunk tank, I just fill up a can with a lid (from a large homebrew kit, as I've got no coffee cans). I use a small icing sugar sprinkler (a can with a wire mesh lid) from the kitchen section of Canadian Tire as a dip basket for the small parts. Wire through small holes drilled in the base of the basket, and wire through the carb float bowls and CV caps. My spring hook tool is perfect for fishing them out without dripping that thoroughly awful crap on your shoes.

- Richard

Comment

Richard, where did you purchase the CRC Tyme-1 and was it cheaper than Kleen Flo?

Paul
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
          Richard, where did you purchase the CRC Tyme-1 and was it cheaper than Kleen Flo?

Paul
          I bought mine at a local NAPA outlet. It was around $40 CDN, don't recall exactly. I did find the instructions were right- its important to use in a well ventilated are-that stuff can get in your system pretty fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaggo60 View Post
            I bought mine at a local NAPA outlet. It was around $40 CDN, don't recall exactly. I did find the instructions were right- its important to use in a well ventilated are-that stuff can get in your system pretty fast.
            About $40 sounds right, I think it was just over. I got mine from Benson auto parts.

- Richard

Comment

I've never tried it, but if carb dip weren't available, I'd start with lacquer thinner. Maybe add a bit of methylene chloride/methanol paint remover to it. It would be a quite vicious mixture. Handle with care, proper ventilation, gloves and so on.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I've heard others have used boiling water and lemon juice with good results. I've never tried it, but I do boil carbs in water before painting them. Lots of oil comes off.

I live in Nevada and we can still buy Berryman's. Great stuff! 20.00 for a gallon with the dip bucket at Napa.
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Just my 2 cents.

Before anybody says anything, I am not a salesman, but my dad hooked me on some stuff way back, and it has never failed me yet.
                  I have been using a product called "Release All" for dipping almost everything auto or motocycle related. It comes in Aerosol or by the gallon, but I can only find it at Canadian Tire. After I finish cleaning carbs, I do a quick final spray with regular carb cleaner, just to take any residual off the general surfaces.
                  The stuff is about 6 bucks for a spray can, but I buy it by the gallon for around $20 regular price (it goes on sale a lot) and put some in a squirt bottle for spraying. It is supposedly environmentally friendly "?", is safe for rubber and plastics, and is excellent for cleaning almost anything your aren't sitting on or eating off.
                  I use it regularly in my parts cleaner, as well as for taking surface rust off parts, freeing up bolts, and to clean the outside of anything fore I take it apart. It cleans things other products won't, and inhibits the return of rust and corrosion, and is an excellent penetrating oil.
                  If you want to see something cute, spray a bit on some pitted chrome, and wait about 30 seconds. You can use your finger to rub the rust off and bring back the shine. It also leaves a thin barrier that inhibits rust formation, but I usually wash it off with soapy water and wax the surface.
                  It also takes corrosion off aluminum. Matter of fact, I haven't found anything I can't clean with the stuff.
                  I have even used it when my hand cleaner ran out.
                  please note: anything I use it on that I am not familiar with, I try a little bit in an out of the way place first to make sure it won't do damage. I haven't found anything it doesn't work on yet, but I am not you.

Comment

Yeah Pinhole!
                    That's exactly the stuff I used to clean my carbs. The stuff worked really well for me too. I picked up a 4L jug of it from Parts Source because it was on my way home. I sprayed my carbs with carb cleaner, then soaked them in a dish of Releaseall afterwards and then finally rinsed the parts with water.
                    The ONLY issue I found with it was with brass parts like the choke sliders. I don't know if it was the rinse with water, or the cleaning solvent but they got a white residue on them after an hour or so and wouldn't slide very well. To fix that I just used some Mothers Mag polish (white paste in a small glass jar) and that fixed them really well.

Comment

Working...
                    X