Detailed turn signal change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detailed turn signal change

Okay, I need details. Very specific details. I work well with pictures too. I have an '83 GS750e. I bought some turn signals from an 04-'05 GSXR. I have pics. Will I have to get a new flasher? If so, what should I be looking for. How should I wire them up? Where should the wires be spliced together. Do I need to solder them. The old bulb is a 1073 reads 12V23W. The new one is a 921 and reads 12V18W. I'll add another picture in the next post.

Kim
    Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2009, 10:21 PM.

Okay, here is a picture of the end connector that has about a foot of wire available coming from the end of the signal unit. Thank you in advance for your patience.

Kim

Comment

Hi Mr. Kimmylion,

You will need a new flasher unit, an electronic unit that does not rely on a specific load to function properly. (Note that this will disable the "auto-cancel" feature of your turn signals, if you have it.) See my website for my turn signal relay replacement guide. You will need to replace the connectors either in your wiring harness, on the signals themselves, or both. Check the electrical odds and ends section for links to all kinds of connectors and stuff. Mostly I use simple blade connectors when I'm replacing the original bullet connectors on my bike. The two-wire signals are easy. One wire is "hot", the other goes to frame ground. Just disconnect the old ones and wire in the new ones in the same places. On my turn signals, the ground wire ends with a circular connector that gets bolted on like a washer with the turn signal stalk for grounding to the frame. You may need a crimper. Soldering is usually not necessary for turn signals.

Let me give you the unofficial "mega-welcome". Pay particular attention to the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator papers.

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2009, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Check the electrical odds and ends section for links to all kinds of connectors and stuff.
        BassCliff
        Thank you. I will be heading to that section next. If anyone else has any helpful hints....please, feel free to chime in.

Kim

Comment

For future searches~My experience

Okay..so this is how it went down. LOL I got my "new" set of turn signals off of an 04-05 GSXR. I trimmed the rear edges so they would line up better with the curves of the bike. Took my time and made some nice, clean connections, heat-shrinked them, etc. When I got the rear on, everything was still kosher and lighting up, blinking and what-not without installing a new flasher relay. I was thinking I might just get away with something at that point. I went for the front ones the next day. After I took off the fairing I starting cleaning up the dirt and then, if you can only imagine, I saw brackets that were dirty and beginning to rust. WELL, I mean, I do have everything off...I might as well sand them & paint...don't you think?!? Yes...that does look better. Well, after I got the front turn signals on they would light up but not blink. Okay, on to stage 3. Auto parts store #1 said they would have to order it(the type number in the how-to tech section), store #2 said they would have to order it, Store #3 also would have to order it and theirs was $20.00!!! Store #4 said their part #FL34 should work. I took it. I figured if it didn't work then I could still order from store #2 and have it the next day. The flasher plugged right into my existing socket(too easy I tell myself) but, it worked!! Take a look-see.

From big&broken to sleek&sturdy:

Suzie w/the new stuff in front of Robert's Ferry Bridge:
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...n/P6010120.jpg

How's she look....faster?....sexier?....LOL
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...n/P5290117.jpg

I supposed if I am to add anything else in the future I will have to change to the more versatile flasher, but in the meantime. This works for me.

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi Mr. Kimmylion,

Oh...and you can call me "Miss" Kimmylion

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmylion View Post

Oh...and you can call me "Miss" Kimmylion

Kim
              Oops.

I just can't tell sometimes. Good work on your blinkers. Thanks for sharing your success. Your bike looks great.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X