Turn signals don't flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals don't flash

If your rear turn signals don't blink, what part are you looking for. Is there a flasher that is at the signal or does it sit somewhere else? I have a 1983 GS 1100GL.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

bump, anybody?
    1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

A little more info please. Do the front blinkers work ? There is a flasher that makes the flashers work. Did they work and stop ? Never worked ? Good bulbs ? It would be easier to help with some info.

Comment

Sorry for the sketchy info. The bike came with no front turn signals. The back signals light up when the switch is operated but they don't flash.
        1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

You need to replace your flasher relay. I don't know where it is on your model, but you use the wiring diagram and trace wires to the turn signals back to where they originate.

Comment

The way these bikes work you would need to have the front and rear flashers conected to have the proper load on the flasher unit. They wont flash with just 1 bulb.
            Not sure if a auto type flasher will just flash 1 bulb, but don't you need a front and rear turn signal on your bike to dirve it on the road ?
            Good luck

Comment

Check the ground. One side of mine stopped flashing and that was the problem.

Comment

your flasher is thermal operated, even if you have a burnt out bulb on a side it will cause that... the load on the front and rear signals is what trips the flasher..get yourself some front signals for safety sake

Comment

Hi,

Yes, the stock turn signal system on these bikes needs to see a specific load in order to flash properly. The flasher relay unit needs to see 2 bulbs, on either side, that are 12v @ 23w. If it sees anything less, they might turn on but won't blink. Get all of your blinkers installed with the proper bulbs and you should be OK. There is a guide on my website if you want to/need to replace the stock flasher unit with a cheap, off-the-shelf unit.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for all the info. My mechanic buddy says turn signals are not required by law in Fla but they were definitely on my "to do" list. They just got higher on the list. I have felt very vulnerable in the small amount of riding I've done on this bike. I just love the sound and feel of this engine after my C50 Blvd V twin. I keep inventing excuses to go out and ride it. I will start looking for front signals as my first priority. Jim M
                    1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

When you look for signals, make sure they will accept the proper bulbs. LED signals will NOT work without changing the flasher. Some other signals have an almost proprietary bulb that is hard to find. Check the bulb in the new signals to make sure you can get replacements.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

At this point I am not concerned with remaining as close to stock as possible. I just want to get safe so I can start riding the bike and bring it along slowly. I guess my first approach will be to get front signals and see If I then need to tackle the flasher/relay issue also. Is there a lot out there that would replace the 2 wire stock 12V @23W signals? Any hints where I might start looking?
                        1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Working...
                        X