Gs650l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs650l

Going to look at a GS today, its a 650L, shaft drive and an 1983. I know the GS engines are pretty solid when taken care of, but Im looking for any thing I may want to look out for when giving he bike a once over. I may buy this one no matter what because the asking is $750 with a small one bike trailer.

Not bad if it comes with a trailer. the 83's have a soft hub spline that usually wear out fairly quickly, a replacement runs about $100 new. If you can find a '81 spline, or a newer one (they still use the exact same part on suzuki's newer shaft bikes) then you'll be set.

Comment

Just got home with it and the trailer for $500

Comment

That's perfect. I got my 650L for $400, including loading it up into his truck and getting it home.

I guess it's the time to pull off the pumpkin and check the spline.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
          Just got home with it and the trailer for $500

Comment

Originally posted by Rein View Post
            I guess it's the time to pull off the pumpkin and check the spline.
            Hi,

There's no need to pull off the "pumpkin" (a.k.a. the 'final drive' unit). Just pull off the back wheel and inspect the driven gear in the wheel and the drive gear on the back of the pumpkin. Here's a few pictures from the last time I pulled off my rear wheel to have the tire replaced. The Honda Moly60 Paste is just about the best stuff you can use on the spline gears.

And here's a well-worn spline:

Once they wear all the way through there's no more forward motion.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2009, 02:25 AM.

Comment

I snagged up my 650L for $50. Not running but complete with a new clymer manual. The guy I got it from wanted out of his garage and I could have had it for free. I didn't feel right about that and offered him $50. I had intended to rebuild it for my now ex-wife last winter, well that didn't happen. Winter project for this year, possibly a 70's chopper look. will look goofy with a shaft, but what the heck. We'll see what happens and I will post pictures of the rebuild.

Andy
              1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
              1984 GS1100GK
              1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
              1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
              1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

For the photo junkies. I was told the final drive had been on the list of things serviced just at the start of the season this year. Ill have to head over to the Honda dealer to pick up a tube or two. I see youre missing the Owners manual on your site Basscliff. If I can, Ill scan mine and send it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=142590

For the photo junkies. I was told the final drive had been on the list of things serviced just at the start of the season this year. Ill have to head over to the Honda dealer to pick up a tube or two. I see youre missing the Owners manual on your site Basscliff. If I can, Ill scan mine and send it to you.
                  Looks like you got a good deal there. Believe it or not, if you'd beat, bang, weld and paint that trailer up all nice and pretty, you could probably wind up selling it for what you gave for the whole thing. If not for what you gave for the whole thing, you could probably get close.

Comment

Congrats on the bike. I got a 650GLD as well. Regarding the manual. Did you get the owners manual as well? I have been searching for one and nobody seems to have one. Scanned or otherwise.

Have you also compared your service manual to the one in basscliff's site? I have not seen much difference between what that book has (GLZ) and mine, but would love to have a copy of one for the GLD model.

saludos desde Guatemala.

Comment

Originally posted by Richsuz View Post
                      Congrats on the bike. I got a 650GLD as well. Regarding the manual. Did you get the owners manual as well? I have been searching for one and nobody seems to have one. Scanned or otherwise.

Have you also compared your service manual to the one in basscliff's site? I have not seen much difference between what that book has (GLZ) and mine, but would love to have a copy of one for the GLD model.

saludos desde Guatemala.
                      The owhers manual was left out in the rain. Im hoping to let it dry and scan and repair the messed up bits if I can. The service manual I got with it is Clymers GS650 FOURS - 1981 - 1983. Mines a good bit different than the one he has. Not sure what the difference there is from a G and the L models are on these, if any.

Comment

Working...
                      X