electrical mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical mystery

I have a 1983 GS750Es that has suddenly developed some electrical woes that I can't seem to figure out. It started when I got the bike out this spring and started it up. Seemed to run fine but noticed that the tach had stopped working. Then I noticed that none of the instrument lights were working and the gear indicator was out too. wtf?? I started checking everything and discovered that the horns weren't working, the fuse for the turn signals kept blowing and tailight and brake light was nfg too!!!!
    I checked the charging system and found that it wasn't charging. Got out "the stator papers" and after troubleshooting it, found that a new stator and R/R were needed. Bought new ones, installed them, but discovered that I'm still not getting a charge circuit. At high rpm(no tach but engine is revving very high) multimetre is only reading 12.8 volts.......... Having no manual to verify this I'm thinking that I have a wire harness problem that has suddenly reared its ugly head! Can anyone tell me if there is a common ground that could be causing this assortment of problems?
    Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sound like the same "classic" problem.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

How long have you had the bike? How long have you been a member? Have you got a wiring diagram? Is this a test?
      S.

Comment

Hi Mr. dsskywalker,

Please go to my website and download a manual for your bike. It makes things so much easier. Check out the "mega-welcome" while your there.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by silverhorse47 View Post
          How long have you had the bike? How long have you been a member? Have you got a wiring diagram? Is this a test?
          S.
          I have had the bike for 5 years...........I 've been a member for a couple of years now. I don't post much but read alot. No, I don't have a wiring diagram.......As to your question whether this is a test.......not sure what that means..........

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi Mr. dsskywalker,

Please go to my website and download a manual for your bike. It makes things so much easier. Check out the "mega-welcome" while your there.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Thank you very much.............

Comment

Disconnect the stator from the R/R and with the settings on A/C check all three legs of the stator while running over 3000 rpms. Alternate between all of them. Should get over 60 volts each.
              Ground the new R/R to the frame and battery.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X