quick carb float height ?...in relation to fuel level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick carb float height ?...in relation to fuel level

im confused on one thing..the manual for my float height says it should be set at 26mm so if i drop it down to 24mm (number i saw on here for the height) will that lower the fuel level or raise it because im encountering a overflow problem where its coming out of the vents(replacing needle valves too with k&l pieces too) just want to know if this would help or further hurt my problem...thanks in advance

Originally posted by fieroracer87 View Post
    im confused on one thing..the manual for my float height says it should be set at 26mm so if i drop it down to 24mm (number i saw on here for the height) will that lower the fuel level or raise it because im encountering a overflow problem where its coming out of the vents(replacing needle valves too with k&l pieces too) just want to know if this would help or further hurt my problem...thanks in advance
    Set the float heigth for your model. You have VM carbs, right?

The new needle and seats should solve the problem.
    Look through here and see if your model is listed
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i have another thing i think might be the problem but its just a theory..can me not having a air filter which is a restriction of some sort increase the vac pressure at idle another possible cause for the overflow issue im having...sorry if im pulling these thoughts out the air

Comment

Hi Mr. fieroracer87,

Having no air filter will cause your motor to run lean. Having bad float needle and seat assemblies will cause your carb(s) to leak.

Mr. johnnay has collected all of the carb specs into a handy spreadsheet. I have a copy on my website: CLICK HERE.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

So adding a filter should help it run a bit richer in turn getting some more fuel into the chambers...which would help the bowls empty out quicker. Because the bike ran excellent threw the whole rpm range and only light smoke when throttle is snapped.I'm swapping out those needles from the first kit with the k&l ones today hope it helps

Comment

the relation of float height to fuel level

26 the fuel is within 3 mm of the bowl mating surface

24mm is more gas in the bowl

28mm is less gas in the float bowl

to get the WHOLE gas leak to stop you need to start at the fuel tank tap get it to seal then move down the line to the float needles.

gravity never sleeps.
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I have a brand new petcock(check). I removed the parts and more rebuild kit float needles and installed the k&l pieces(check) they looked bad so I hope that solves the problem...and I readjusted float height to 26mm(1.020")(check)I'll know saturday if my problems are gone because the other needles didn't hold the float up rather the spring gave and possible led to the wrong adjustment being given previously.

Comment

Working...
              X