Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old bike spewing gas and oil

Hi,

I was looking at an old gs425 that is for sale. the bike has not been on the road since 1992.

It fired and ran for a few seconds after a bit of coaxing but then spewed gas from the overflow tube and engine oil from somewhere as it died.

oil loss was prob about 3-4 tablespoons worth each time it died.

where could this be coming from and is it a bif deal to fix?

thanks, K

No doubt the carbs need to be overhauled, which is about a week's worth of waiting if you have only one can of dip, plus a few hours of labor. Once they're back on they'll need to be sync'd too. Could you see where the oil was coming from? Did you check the oil level? It's not unlikely that the crankcase is over-full with a fuel-oil mixture.

Comment

You'll have to look around to see where the oil is coming from. Likely spots seem to be the oil seals on the clutch pushrod, kickstarter, gear shift, etc. Also look around the base of the block, where it meets the cases, or from the valve cover gasket, tach gear, etc. If it's an oil seal, it's not too hard to replace (remove a few bolts, drill a very small hole through the oil seal and use a self-tapping screw through the hole to give you something to pull the seal out).

I'm still new to carbs, but gas coming out the overflow tubes sounds like the needle valves. Do some searches... this happens a lot and the solution seems to be a cheap set of o-rings or replacement of the needle valve, and maybe floats.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. KurtDeMeaner,

Here is your unofficial "mega-welcome". Please pay particular attention to the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. As has been mentioned, those gummed-up carbs have probably let gas leak into the crankcase oil. Change all the fluids before you ride, including the brake fluid. Inspect/replace/clean/repair everything; chain, sprockets, fork oil/seals, clean the wiring harness, adjust the valves, replace the tires, etc. Having been that long since it's been ridden, you've got quite a labor of love ahead of you. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If it's cheap get it and with our help you'll have a good bike. Those 425s are easy peasy to work on.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks for all the info. i'm going to go back for another look. one thing for sure it made me appreciate the 425 I have owned for the last 21 years.

made mine look pretty good.

Comment

Working...
            X