Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there different styles of VM Carburetor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there different styles of VM Carburetor?

1977 GS750. Everything's stock except cheap-O pod filters and (allegedly) oversize main jets, but I'm planning on rebuilding carbs to stock spec and trying to track down a stock airbox as well.

My question is, are there different styles of VM carbs? Maybe an 'early' or 'late' style or something like that?

Reason I'm asking is I have two sets of them. And they are different. One set is on the bike, the other I have clear pics of at

The carbs that are currently on my my bike do not have that apparatus that is on carb #3 in the pics. All four of the carbs on my bike appear identical.

I can't find any identifying pics, serial numbers, etc., only the markings visible in the pictures. Can anybody tell me what I have in the pics, and maybe what I have on my bike?

I'm going to be performing a full teardown/cleaning/rebuild on one of the sets, can anyone suggest which set would be better on my bike?

That is an accelerator pump. You will see where the small interconnect hose goes between the carb bodies.

Comment

The carbs in the pic are 28mm VM's with an accelerator pump. Those are good carbs, normally found on Kawasakis. They might be a bit much for a stock 750. I'd clean 'em up and sell 'em!
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Hi,

Does this help at all?

Mikuni VM/Smooth Bore Manual
        ~10 MB PDF file.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
          The carbs in the pic are 28mm VM's with an accelerator pump.
          Thanks for the info!
          ...They might be a bit much for a stock 750...
          Would they be a better match for the bike when (at some point in the future) I add a header and some K&N pods, than the stock carbs? Would I still likely need to re-jet the 28mm carbs as well?

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

Does this help at all?

Mikuni VM/Smooth Bore Manual
            ~10 MB PDF file.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            No, thank you for yours.

Your website ROCKS, by the way. A wealth of information is contained therein.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
              The carbs in the pic are 28mm VM's with an accelerator pump. Those are good carbs, normally found on Kawasakis. They might be a bit much for a stock 750. I'd clean 'em up and sell 'em!
              No those are 24mm kawi 550 carbs I have a set just like them in my garage. You can tell the small carbs by the horizontal ribs in the carb body. They won't fit the 750 manifolds(too small). Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
                No those are 24mm kawi 550 carbs I have a set just like them in my garage. You can tell the small carbs by the horizontal ribs in the carb body. They won't fit the 750 manifolds(too small). Dan
                OOPS, guess I didn't look close enough. Thanks, Dan.
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

The KZ550 carbs were 22mm TK's. The carbs in the photo are Mikuni's so I don't think they can be from a 550. They could be from a 650 though.
                  Last edited by Nessism; 05-26-2009, 10:03 PM.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                  X