Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am doing a valve adjustment that requires to exchange the chims

on a 1982 gs 850 L
    Question if there is oil in the slot were i need to take out the chim do i have to drain that oil so it does not go in the cylinder?
    thanks guys

Don't worry about the oil, the only place it can go is on your floor.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i mean not drain the oil from the bike just that area so it does not go down the bucket

Comment

It can't hurt anything.
        When it is running, oil is flowing all over the place in there, it's all OK.
        Even if you poured some into the cylinder it would just burn off, smoke for a few seconds. No problem.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,

If you are using the tappet tool, and you are un-practiced, you might want to wear goggles. If the tappet tool slips off the bucket it will snap up and spritz you with oil. Ask me how I know.

The oil there can't hurt anything. You want to make sure that your new shims are coated with oil when you insert them. Then spin the motor a few times with your wrench and check the clearance again, just to be sure.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2009, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

If you are using the tappet tool, and you are un-practiced, you might want to wear goggles. If the tappet tool slips off the bucket it will snap up and spritz you with oil. Ask me how I know.

The oil there can't hurt anything. You want to make sure that your new shims are coated with oil when you insert them. Spin the motor a few times with your wrench and check the clearance again, just to be sure.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            ....just to add....to put the number side of the shim down so it's less likely to wear off and your left with measuring them with a micrometer or worse, trial and error, to figure out what size they are.....and after putting them in, usually the first rotation of the crankshaft will squirt oil too when they seat in. When I'm done, I squirt clean motor oil on each cam lobe to be sure they are coated for the initial firing up of the engine.

Comment

Valve Adjustment

Hi Nes,

You have nothing to worry about.
              Below the Shim is the Tappet, valve springs, retainer, seat, etc. to include an oil seal which prevents the oil from being able to run all the way down the Valve Stem and into the cylinder.

The entire area you are working in is meant to be bathed in oil during normal engine operation.

Here is a great place to look for your parts and/or to see exploded views of your bike.

Comment

thanks to all!

Comment

Working...
                X