PItting on the chrome front fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PItting on the chrome front fender

Is there anyway to bring the fender back to almost original luster by buffing? The fender doesn't look terrible, but it would be nice to have it looking almost new. I am thinking of repainting the bike for a winter project, and if I do, then I would even consider having it redone.

YES...or close to it. Get some#0000 steel wool and a bottle of Blue Job and have at it. It works!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      YES...or close to it. Get some#0000 steel wool and a bottle of Blue Job and have at it. It works!

Thanks. Never heard of Blue Job. Where can I get this stuff???

Never mind, I found a local store that has it, Ridenow Powersports in Concord, NC.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2009, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Before you use steel wool I would try some xylene, its a paint remover and cleaner. Will take off any surface rust and years of dirt and grime.

Comment

The trick I have found that gets that crap off your chrome is actually aluminum foil and Mothers cleaner. Just whipe on some of that Mothers to soften up the oxidation/rust stuff then ball up the foil and use the dull side to scrub the rest of it. Sounds like the foil would scratch it huh... but trust me, it wont.

Comment

I got fed up with trying to keep my chrome shiny so I painted it. Doesn't look too bad in my opinion. I have people who thought it was a newer bike because the fender wasn't chrome. Your mileage may vary though...

Comment

Originally posted by Quandryron View Post
              I got fed up with trying to keep my chrome shiny so I painted it. Doesn't look too bad in my opinion. I have people who thought it was a newer bike because the fender wasn't chrome. Your mileage may vary though...

That's a nice bike dude. Got any more pics of that beasty?

Comment

I second the Aluminum Foil trick. That works BIG TIME!!!! Shiney side down, I even did mine with water (the water acts as a lube like wet sanding does). It is A MUST DO for chrome parts. It's free, and will blow you mind how well it take the crud/oxidation/or whatever is on your chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris88 View Post
                  The trick I have found that gets that crap off your chrome is actually aluminum foil and Mothers cleaner. Just whipe on some of that Mothers to soften up the oxidation/rust stuff then ball up the foil and use the dull side to scrub the rest of it. Sounds like the foil would scratch it huh... but trust me, it wont.
                  Wow, I have never heard of this. I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

S.O.S. Brillo pads, use lightly does beautiful, the soap acts as a barrier and it scrubs off all trash and rust.

Comment

Actually aluminum foil works well.
                      There's actually a chemical reaction that happens when you do this. Heat from the friction of rubbing creates aluminum oxide, which gets its oxygen from iron oxide (rust). Aluminum oxide is also harder than steel, so the microscopic granules act as a very fine polish. Therefore, it destroys the rust AND polishes at the same time. Plus it's cheap as hell.

Dipping it in water helps lubricate the process but it's not needed.

Comment

soapy water and #0000 steel wool, scrub in one direction. Depending on the pitting-I've gotten the very light pitting off my fork tubes, but left my front fender with a haze finish (ranged form pitting to surface rust).

Comment

Working...
                        X