Airbox Removal and carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox Removal and carb question

I own a '82 GS650L and I can not find my repair manual. It's probably in storage. Gotta dig it out. Anyway, is there another way to remove the air box without remoing the carbs? I was just curious.
    Also, is there a mamual on how to sync carbs? I saw the section on how to rebuild the carbs. I think I can do it. Just didn't know if there was another resource.
    I've let my bike sit for a while (4-5 years, shame on me) and I miss riding the thing. It's now a resto project. I've already had to pull the carbs once to replace the starter.
    Any info would be great!

You have to pull the carbs to make room to get the airbox out as it's all a bit of a tight fit in there.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I figured that. Just didn't know if there was another way. Well the air box is going to stay out and I'm going to get individual air filters for them. Now the next problem is getting the carbs to work. It's getting fuel into the float and it wants to run but it just putters. May need a carb rebuild.

Comment

Without removing the carbs, the only part you'll be able to take off is the main airbox, where the filter is. The airbox manifold part you'll have to remove the carbs.

Comment

Just want to say welcome to Forum and Basscliff, our unofficial greeter, has an excellent webpage loaded with all sorts of great info.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. What area do you call home? There may be someone who can help with that nearby. Changing to pods can be a pain. The airbox isn't so bad once you've done it a few times.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2009, 09:57 PM.

Comment

I'm in Maryland. My first project before the pods is just getting the bike to start.

Comment

It probably won't run at all without the airbox. Your carbs are CV carbs which means they rely on vacuum to raise the slides. Without the airbox, you don't have enough vacuum.

Comment

Working...
                X