GS550# Cranking issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550# Cranking issue

Did a rebuild on my carbs and with the help of Basscliffs site and info got it running pretty good so far. My problem is cranking, I bench synched the carbs and now when I try to crank it you can't touch the thriottle and it will hit on (sounds like) one or two cylinders at first and this goes on for close to a minute and it sounds like it hits on more cylinders till it catches up and you can veeeerrry slowly ease the throttle open to gain rpm's. After it catches up it runs smooth as a (proverbial) top. It's a GS550E. Thanks for any info.

Steve E..........

2 questions:
    are you using the choke when you try and start?
    Have you got the fuel tap set to prime and have you checked that it's working as it should?
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I have tried it both ways and it seems to take it just a little bit longer when I put the choke on and take it off. I left the fuel lever in the on position since I got everything back together. It only has 2 positions on the lever, ON and RES.

Steve E..........

Comment

You may of kinked the fuel line or the petcock is bad.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It does it with the fuel line on it now and it is not kinked and with my Baked Beans can/aux fuel tank (vacuum line plugged and no petcock) and it was a straight shot from the can straight down into the carb fitting so I know there is no kink in the fuel line but thanks for the advice.

Steve E.........

Comment

Then you are WAY out of sync.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Should it be that bad out of sync with a bench sync?

Steve E.......

Comment

A bench sync only gets you in the ballpark to get it to run.

Comment

I do have a friend that has the tools to do a proper carb sync job when he gets time.

Steve E............

Comment

Working...
                  X