cant get my gs550mz to go highway speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant get my gs550mz to go highway speed

this is my first motorcycle, i bought it in semi-running condition (had to be run off of starting fluid) for $375. Clean title but the bike had likely taken some abuse by its appearance. I have it looking decent cosmetically, and it is running, but not to my satisfaction. After doing what we could with carb cleaner to clean up the carbs the bike runs but i get about 10 mph out of each gear ( 6 of them) for a top speed of about 60. the rubber gromets that connect the back of the carbs to the airbox were missing and i actually made myself connectors using an old radiator hose and some rtv. from browsing through the site i have the i idea i might need a dyno jet kit... but only saw one for the 1100's. The idle has been very tempramental and to get it to start w/o starting fluid often requires you to let it sit for a while (maybe because the fuel bowls of the carbs are dry). Anyway i would like some input on my situation. what can i try? would the 1100 jet kit work? trying to keep this a cheap project i probably have $600 in it at this point. was hoping to be able to drive it back and forth from my dad's to my college campus which is just over 100 miles. bought a 550 in hopes it would have some power but its definately not ready yet. the owner of the parts shop i got my chain from seemed to think the bike should be capable of about 115mph, but only said something is definately wrong rather then specifying anything. My neighbor is actually a japanese bike mechanic but wrecked his busa the other day, and hasn't gotten a chance to look it over.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2009, 05:09 PM.

Any mods to the bike (pipes-pods)? You will get the full welcome from Basscliff which will give you several links to some VERY usefull info needed, to get your bike up and running.
    A FULL DETAILED carb clean is in order and that will also be provided in the links. Several things lead to the lack of power and idle issues that you are having but we need to start with the basics first.

I'll let your MEGA WELCOME address them.

Welcome to the GSR... You have come to the right place!

OH...in respect to your question about the 1100 working in the 550, NO DICE!
    Last edited by Dave8338; 06-01-2009, 05:19 PM.

Comment

as far as i can tell its the original exhaust, no air cleaner pods if thats what you meant, i tried to make what was left of the original intake work

Comment

Best thing to do is order the correct parts as the GS is a very lean engine to begin with. If things are not perfect...you'll be dragging your tail for a long time to come. ALL of the fuel related o-rings are available here from Robert Barr (cycleorings.com) and the intake/airbox rubbers can be ordered at flatout Z1 or Bike Bandit (.com)

The carbs need to be broken down and soaked.

A petcock may be in order as well and I suggest making it a part of the rebuild process and forget it for the rest of your life.

Comment

well since we are getting into all these small parts... is there anyway just to get just the rubber cup from the piston cup set for my front master cylinder.... suzuki wants to charge me $50 for a piston cup set, and i couldn't find it anywhere else

Comment

went ahead and ordered a new air filter, and the gromets for my airbox from cheapcycleparts.com ordered the o-ring set and went ahead and got the seals for between the carb and the cylinder head (thanks for directing me there it seemed very reasonable). What exactly should i soak the carb in?

Comment

um i think carb cleaner would be best , you can get it at your local auto parts store itll come in a can or plastic tub with a strainer inside its a soak you completely disassemble your carb rack and soak all but the rubber peices in it
              it cleans really well
              good luck
              Rodman/jugsnlugsmotorsports

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. riding a blue beater,

It seems it's going to take quite a bit of TLC to get your baby running right again. Don't get discouraged, tackle one problem at a time. In addition to getting it running (Carb Rebuild Series?), you need to worry about getting it stopped (new brake fluid and pads?), getting it charging (Stator Papers?), getting new tires, probably fork seals and other "minor" stuff like sprockets and a chain. Don't be in a hurry to ride an unsafe bike.

Here is your official "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2009, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X