Broken tab repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken tab repair

I just finished replacing some broken tabs on the side covers of the ES.

1) I used a bolt and ground down the head to a shape that approximated the stock one, fitting it several times to make sure.

2) I then cut it to lenght by fitting the bolt into the rubber mount, fitting the side panel over it, and checking the side panel to see if it was pushing it further into the hole. If it was, I ground off more then tried again.

3) Once the length was correct I welded a washer on the base of the bolt.

4) The assembly is then pushed into the mounting hole with a piece of tape cut to the shape of the washer (sticky end out and attached to the washer). The panel is then fitted one last time and pushed onto the tape. When the panel is removed, the tape marks the exact place where the washer end of the new tab will rest.

5) Outline the tape with a marker, apply 2 part epoxy and press the assembly onto the panel.

It works very well. The fit is more than I hoped for and it's bulletproof. The first one took an hour to get the procedure down. After that I was cranking them out in 15 minutes.

I can post pics of it after I return, but I gotta' go now.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2009, 10:23 AM.

It is easier to cut a section off of a piece of aluminum L bracket rather than using steel bolts and welding. Gluing down using using two part expoy works the same way. I have pics I can post at home

Comment

I got his idea from one of my ED PO's and it works remarkably well. Fashion a post out of aluminum stock to fit the female receiver( the part on the bike). Bond it to the inside of the cover with two part epoxy. The post below is actually made from a piece of "L" bracket so that there is a foot that can be bonded to the flat back.

To improve the adhesion drill a hole in the foot so the epoxy can come through as well as all around. The shape of the post can be done with hacksaw, drill and files (any combination) and aluminum is lighter and easier to work with than steel. It is however much stronger in sheer and less trouble than trying to form a post of fiberglass or epoxy.

One other tip, t oavoid making a gooy mess on the back of the cover, after apply the two part epoxy, tape over it with a bit of masking tape. That allows you to form the shape with your finger and get it pretty smooth. Generally it is easiest to pull the tape back off before it has completely harrdended else the tape will bond too well so the epoxy. The epoxy shapes you see were done that way. without any final grinding required.

Sorry about crappy pics, all I got at the moment. Both of the posts are off my Red ED, which as most know have chronic tab breaking problems.

Pos

Last edited by posplayr; 06-12-2009, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I guess I don't need to post pics then if you have something that works just as well and is easier! Thanks again.

Comment

Red,
          Just comparing notes . Anything is better than a frickin black tie-strap.
          Pos

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Red,
            Just comparing notes . Anything is better than a frickin black tie-strap.
            Pos
            No problemo. It's probably more than most would do anyway. If anyone is really interested in pics I could post, but like I said, it may be a bit overboard for all but a few, and they probably can get what they need out of it from the text.

Comment

Just cleaning up some old threads with pics and comments. This is what it looks like.

Comment

Working...
              X