Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this clamp hold? It's slightly bent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this clamp hold? It's slightly bent.

The 1st picture is right behind my battery box. Notice the clamp dangling loose without a screw holding it together on the left. I'm not sure what it is called, but this seems to be the first part of the air intake system going into another part of the air intake system.

I used some 12 g wire to tighten to clamp back up - I didn't have the right kind of bolt for this. The wire works - see 2nd pic - and I am able to tighten up the clamp really well, but I noticed that part of the clamp is bent out a little and doesn't connect well with the rubber. I tried to show in the 3rd pic - It just pops out a little bit in one small area about a centimeter in length, the clamp is tight to the rubber otherwise.

Is this ok or do you think I need to get a new clamp? I was wondering what kind of problems might develop because of this. What might happen to let me know it's not clamped well enough?

There is nothing wrong with how the bike runs right now, as far as I could tell, and I'm not sure how long the clamp was hanging loose.

Can anyone who has had some experience in this area give some advice please? This is an 82 650G.

Thanks
    - Brad

Probably not a huge deal, but you want all clamps tightened down--or it could cause the bike not to run as it is designed.

Go to a parts fiche and simply order a new clamp and you're good to go.

www.bikebandit.com or whatever place you like.

Rick

Comment

a screw

Originally posted by radbrad View Post
      Is this ok or do you think I need to get a new clamp? I was wondering what kind of problems might develop because of this. What might happen to let me know it's not clamped well enough?

There is nothing wrong with how the bike runs right now, as far as I could tell, and I'm not sure how long the clamp was hanging loose.

Can anyone who has had some experience in this area give some advice please? This is an 82 650G.

Thanks
      - Brad

That connects the air box to a manifold that goes to the carbs. I doubt it matters if it's loose because it slides together pretty well. But, if you want to put it back together right don't worry about a new clamp...all you need is a screw. It's a long, very thin screw with threads like a wood screw.

Take a look at one of the screws that holds the carburetor to the intake boots of the engine. The screw you need looks exactly like that one.

Comment

So the clamp is not literally SEALING in something, it is for re-enforcement?

Comment

Yes it is. It keeps the air flowing through the air filter box and filter assembly. As Ryon mentioned...just replace it. You may not notice a difference in how the bike runs (at the time) but it could just as easily drawing air from around that fitting and not through the filter, leaning out the mixture and letting dust and crap straight into your carbs.

Comment

Ok, so this clamp, tightening down the connection from the air box to the manifold going into the carbs... I looked into replacing it, but the part has been discontinued - can't get it from bike bandit or suzuki -does anyone have a clamp like this with a bolt they could part with? My clamp is bent but it may work if I get the proper bolt, but I'd like to replace both.

Anyone who could help, please PM me!

thanks
            Brad

Comment

Take off the clamp and go to a hardware store and get a screw that fits and reinstall clamp.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You have more than one clamp. You could always take the screw out of one of the others and match it up at a hardware store. The time it took to post this it would have been done.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
                  Take a look at one of the screws that holds the carburetor to the intake boots of the engine. The screw you need looks exactly like that one.
                  They are not the same. from OP's previous posts, it seems he has a 650G, clamp screws are not the same for the engine intake and carb intake. Yes, take it to a hardware store and match them up.

Comment

I'd like to get a whole new clamp though... not just the bolt.

Comment

The pic of the clamp in a microfiche has a bend in it because it is oval.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

where to orient this clamp

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        The pic of the clamp in a microfiche has a bend in it because it is oval.
                        YES, it does look oval in this schematic:

But this schematic also doesn't look right to me, the way it is oriented, the air filter element cover is pointed up - to the sky, instead of away to the right. Am I missing something here? I have the clamp tied up with wire instead of the bolt right about where it comes together in this picture, on the left, but doesn't appear to fit properly around that area as well - not snugly against the plastic... wait maybe mine is up too far, need to adjust it down to the right...
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2009, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Maybe you have a Frankenstein air box

Comment

Working...
                          X