Mechanical Tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical Tach

There is a cap on the front of the engine block on my 1982 Suzuki GS300L.
    The cap is on the valve cover on top towards the front.
    Is this a port for a mechanical Tachometer?

Originally posted by Kitten Tooth View Post
    There is a cap on the front of the engine block on my 1982 Suzuki GS300L.
    The cap is on the valve cover on top towards the front.
    Is this a port for a mechanical Tachometer?
    Picture would help, but maybe. On the bigger bikes, the port for the tach gear is on the head itself.

Comment

It may very well be. The GS300L as configured for North America didn't come with a tachometer, but that engine was used in many different bikes in both 250 and 300cc sizes for the overseas market.

Many of those bikes were sportbikes, so I'm sure they came with tachs on them.

As was posted before, a pic is worth a thousand words.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Tim/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-gs300lz-1982/o/m6020
        Thanks man, i think its number 11 on the parts list. so i guess i better look for a tach for my bike then.

Comment

I looked at the schematics for the cylinder head cover for my bike and there is a port for a tachometer.
          Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
            On the bigger bikes, the port for the tach gear is on the head itself.
            Not quite right Gonzo, the 550s and 650s had the tach drive in the rocker cover (cylinder head cover).

Comment

The GS300L exhaust cam is geared to drive a tach.

Comment

You should pull the cover off and check. Their is probably No drive gear and may ??? not have teeth on the cam

Comment

The cam is geared on ours. .. no drive present though .. just the plug.

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                  You should pull the cover off and check. Their is probably No drive gear and may ??? not have teeth on the cam

Comment

Working...
                  X