Air leaking out of forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air leaking out of forks

It leaks out over night. I get a nice ride with about 16psi. Is it normal for it to leak out like this?

No, there is a problem

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post
      No, there is a problem

I guess there is only a couple of places for where it could leak. I replaced the seals. But I just looked at the oring on the caps. Pretty flat. I am going to replace these.

Comment

7 psi

I don't know if it's different for the GS1000 models but for my GS1100, the recommended fork air pressure is only 7.11 PSI.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
          I don't know if it's different for the GS1000 models but for my GS1100, the recommended fork air pressure is only 7.11 PSI.

No, the manual says to put 14-16 psi in, if you have the rear preload set to 4, and the damping set to 3.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2009, 11:44 PM.

Comment

They all leak over time, I even tried linking them together which was great for a while then they leak again, so, I solved the issue with progressive springs and 1 3/4 spacer.
            Now, it sits up perfect and handles great. Oh! and no lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Rouge
              the 'trick' of spraying soapy water on suspected leak areas might just work for you.

My GS1100 forks retain air for months...for sure pressure changes given temperature rise/fall......but no, the air should not leak out.

Your a Genius! It was leaking out of the right fork tube. I guess the seal wasn't sealing. I kinda nicked the seat on that side when I used a small chisel to get the old seal out. I did smooth the area with emery cloth, and I know it helped, because there was friction there until I smoothed it up enough. Anyways, it seems to be holding air now on that side. Upon further investigation, I noticed that it leaked out quite quickly, like a matter of minutes, and it is not doing that now. Thanks a lot for the recommendation. I am telling you, this site is great, with the wealth of knowledge here.

Comment

Originally posted by feelergaugephil View Post
                They all leak over time, I even tried linking them together which was great for a while then they leak again, so, I solved the issue with progressive springs and 1 3/4 spacer.
                Now, it sits up perfect and handles great. Oh! and no lbs.

Yeah, I thought about doing this myself.

Comment

Working...
                X