Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contact Breaker Cover Hole

Hey,

So my GS300L has no emblems on the crankcase cover or contact breaker cover. However, there is a plastic hollow bolt in the contact breaker cover with a 2-sided ruber thing (one piece, goes through both sides). After doing some reasearch, i realized that the hole is supposed to be there.

Now i don't know what to do. I am planning on buying the emblems but this is where i need your guys's help. What is that hole for? once i buy the emblems do i just take out the bolt in the contactbreaker and put the emblem over it?

Thanks--

Sounds like someone stuck a bolt in the hole after the emblem went missing.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

remove the stud/bolt whatever. put some silicone on it and let it dry. when you get the emblem you can poke the silicone out, it wont get hard and should release from it easily.

P.S. that hole is probably the alignment hole for when you stick the emblem on there

Comment

I love it when a quick search comes up with the exact answer. I was wondering whether or not to take the rubber plug out before sticking the emblem on, and as I thought the answer was YES!

Thanks!

Comment

Not sure what bolt you are talking about but from memory the emblems have a notch on the bottom that lines up with it corrisponding "V" on the cover. Hole in the contact cover is there on all the covers as standard.

Comment

Yes, but missing the emblem the PO had stuffed the hole with a rubber plug, which I assumed (correctly) I could remove before sticking the emblem on. I just wanted to check, and against odds there was a thread about it.

Comment

He plugged the hole with the bolt to stop sand and road debris from getting in and tearingb up everything in there.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                He plugged the hole with the bolt to stop sand and road debris from getting in and tearingb up everything in there.
                Exactly. And I didn't know if it belonged because it's my first GS and the Haynes manual doesn't have a really good description or picture. It's just not one of those things you find described - "Take out any third party plugs before replacing emblem"...

Looks nice with the emblem. Now I need the other one for the opposite side.

Comment

My '81 GS 750 L has a hole in the contact breaker cover, towards the bottom, not covered by the emblem. I hadn't noticed it until I had the cover off and was cleaning off the old gasket, so I'm not sure if there was anything ever in it. From this post I gather that this hole is supposed to be there, but I can't figure how leaving it uncovered I should expect oil not to leak out (it being at the bottom and all)...?

Comment

Working...
                  X