Jetting/Carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jetting/Carb question

I was curious to see if I was lucky enough to have a DJ kit installed on my bike by the previous owner since it has pod filters and a 4-1 exhaust so I took out the float bowl and the main jet. It has no DJ stamped on it. What is has is an R followed by a square with a smaller square inside it on the bottom left corner. The size is 112.5. On the shaft it has 261 stamped on it again with the R and the symbol. Are these stock jets? If so will the bike run OK if/when I get it running?

Thanks,

Raz

you described a mikuni jet.
    pull a slide and remove the needle.
    if the needle has several grooves..
    than it has jet kit needles anyways.
    **this is for vaccum carbs***

Comment

I was afraid you'd say that!! I'm new to carbed bikes since all my other ones have been fuel injected. I've read through BassCliff's write ups on cleaning VM carbs and it scares the crap out of me!! These things are like swiss watches and you guys make it sound like it's as easy as changing a light bulb. I guess I'll just have to dive in and see what happens.

Comment

Ummm, if you have a canadian bike the needles already are adjustable , stock needles, have very little taper, DJ needles taper much more.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
          Ummm, if you have a canadian bike the needles already are adjustable , stock needles, have very little taper, DJ needles taper much more.

good point.
          are these the same as US needles except with grooves for adjustments?

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            good point.
            are these the same as US needles except with grooves for adjustments?
            I have those too, as well as new and old DJ, they are VASTLY different than DJ needles.. You could stab your eye out with DJ needles, you might just bruise it with canada spec MiC needles..

Comment

OK, so after a bit more research on carbs I realized that the 'shaft' to which I was referring in my original post is actually the needle jet (I think). So, if it has 261 stamped on it I guess that's the size. I did some research on the net and the application for those are VM29 or VM33 Smoothbore carbs. Would I be so lucky to have bought a bike with those carbs on? How can I tell for sure?

Comment

Originally posted by razooki View Post
                These things are like swiss watches and you guys make it sound like it's as easy as changing a light bulb
                there are what, maybe 35 pieces in each carb, including o-rings, gaskets and screws.

Have you ever worked on a swiss watch? around 100 tiny little parts minimum on a non complicated movement.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                X