Master cylinder bypass port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master cylinder bypass port

I've been reading old threads because something is amiss with my brakes. They are dragging. The fluid is not the prettiest. Exactly where do you find the master cylinder bypass hole. Is it in the bottom of the brake fluid resorvior? How would you clear it?
    Also, I have my 1100GL buckhorn bars rotated so the hand grips are more parallel to the ground rather than angled down. This tilts the resorvior at angle. Could this be any problem? I just damn sure can't spell resorvior. Thnx Jim M
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

bump (oops need 10 letters)
    1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

I just cleaned out mine, which just consisted of running as much brake fluid thru the entire system continuously bleeding them until the fluid came out clean. Simple and cheap, but i don't know how effective if there's a real problem. But looking into the resevoir, the bypass is the smaller of the two holes and is relatively easy to clog. I didn't have to clean mine, but starting wiht clean fluid might be a start.

Or else drain and clean the whole resevoir, which is probably better, but i'm easy and learned that if it aint broke don't go fixing it, because something probably will be broke by the time I'm finished.

Just as a guess, I would poke a copper wire thru the hole. I think they are straight to the cylinder, so as long as you don't lose an end of the wire (or whatever) in the cylinder you'll be fine.

But I'm sure someone will pipe up to correct me if i'm wrong, moreso than to give you this simple information.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2009, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks Rob. I'm going to try to drain and refill tomorrow but I think maybe the cylinder is hung up.
        1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

There are two ports at the bottom of the reservoir. One about Ø2.5 mm, the other maybe Ø1 mm. Mine needed a sustained assault with a chunk of wire and some brake cleaner before I could get the wire though the port.

This is worth verifying with a wire, because if it blocks the return path entirely, overheating brakes can cause water in the old fluid to expand, causing the front brakes to lock until they cool again. A total rebuild wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

The angle of the reservoir is probably OK as long as the level of the fluid can never fall below the intake port. I think you have the square reservoir, so I'm not sure what angle might be safe, since I've never been into one of those.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks Dog. Both the holes are covered with fluid. It is nice to hear that probing with wire won't hurt anything. I'd be lost without all the help here.
            1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Everyone else that has replied are right. You need to unblock the smaller of the two holes. But my guess is you can't see the holes because of the dirty fluid. Am I correct. You may have to empty the reservoir of fluid to do the job right. When I did mine I used a steel wire from a wire brush. Just pull it out of the brush with a pair of pliers.

Comment

Sounds like it's time disassemble & clean/rebuild your MC & front calipers...

You don't want to fool around with your brakes, they come in pretty handy when you need 'em.

I've had very good luck with just taking all the bits apart & giving them a good cleaning, then reassemble with new DOT 4 fluid. Of course, replacing the lines with SS ones is best.

Good luck
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Get a can of spray brake cleaner, remove the master cyl, empty it, Clean the resivoir. As said you might need a small piece of wire to clean the return port. Blead it at the master first then at the calapers

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.
                    1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Working...
                    X