A couple of questions from a new guy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of questions from a new guy.

First off I am the Proud owner of a 79 GS850G. She isnt the prettiest thing on the block but reliable. Unfortunately I had a bit of a wreck and am currently replacing a few parts. Okay so here are my questions...

1) I have an 82 front master cylinder on the way (a steal off ebay) and I was planning on ordering a set of stainless brake lines from HEL. does anyone know if there is a difference in the master cylinder fittings from 79-82?

2) Anyone have any exhaust recommendations? the guy who had the bike before me welded Honda megaphones to the stock 4-2..rather sloppily at that and I mashed them up a bit in my mishap. Im kind of fond of a 4-2 set up but not unmoving in my decision.

3) I plan on ditching the airbox for weight and aesthetics and using pod filters my understanding is that I'll need the more oval shaped K&Ns as opposed to the round ones correct?

Thanks in advance. So far you guys have been extremely helpful

Exhaust choices are few and far between and if You go with the pods prepare to descend into Rejetting Hell. No GS is more affected by the Air/Fuel mixture than the 850. Not saying it can't be done but it can be a big pain to get right.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

1. No differences
      2. Look in the Parts for Sale forum or Ebay
      3. Save the pods for a winter project, should you decide to do it. You don't want to spend the rest of your riding season tearing your carbs off repeatedly
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Ta2Mike,

I'm sorry if I'm late with this. You'll find lots of GS850 lovin' on my website. Here, let me do my "welcome thang"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

TA2Mike,

Welcome to GSR.

Speaking of 850 with custom exhaust and pods. I saw one Saturday, picture here:
          Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

Look at the pods.
          Has black tape on them all but the last half inch or so.
          Kinda gives the idea that guy has been doing lots of experemintning.

Have not had the experince myslelf but have seen many postings about bad expereinces with pods on GSes.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Master cyl should work fine, A few have used HD mufflers welded to the stock pipes, I would keep the stock air box!!!! What are you going to save 1-2 lbs. I think it looks more finished too!!

Comment

Working...
            X