what should the RPM's be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what should the RPM's be?

At a specific speed and gear, say 100km/h or 60mph and 5th gear (or any other combo), what sort of engine RPM's I should be getting for a 1979 GS850G? My bike is finally on the road, and I noticed that the RPM's were about 2700 in fifth at an indicated 80km/h, which to me seems high, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks,
    Morgan

Most bikes I've been around, 750 & up, you can figure 1,000 rpm = 15 mph in high gear. 2000 = 30mph, 3,000 = 45mph, 4,000 = 60mph etc. Different bikes are different, but this should be in the ballpark

Comment

Anyone have those numbers for a '79 550?

Thanks,

Comment

I have a '79 1000. At 4000 rpm I'm doing 67 mph. At about 3600 rpm I'm doing 60.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Morgan,

I'll check either tonight, or no later than tomorrow. But only 2700 rpm's at 50 mph does not sound right, based on my GS850. Your rpm's seem quite low, but I could be mistaken. Will let you know.
          Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
          "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
          1982 GS1100E
          1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

I have some info on the '79 850 from road tests in Cycle and Cycle Guide magazines. According to Cycle at 60 mph the engine is turning 4460 rpm in top (5th) gear. Cycle guide gives the following mph x rpm figures which work out pretty close to those numbers.

1st gear - 5.3 mph per 1000 rpm
            2nd gear - 7.4 mph per 1000 rpm
            3rd gear - 9.5 mph per 1000 rpm
            4th gear - 11.7 mph per 1000 rpm
            5th gear - 13.7 mph per 1000 rpm

At 2700 rpm in top gear you should be doing about 37 mph. Or at 50 mph you should be running 3650 rpm.

I have found these numbers to be spot on with my 80 850. I had a crankshaft-up rebuild done on it a couple of years ago and was off of it for 3 months. When I go it back it felt like it was geared lower than before even though I knew that couldn't be with a shaft drive bike. I called the local Sheriff's office and asked where the smart trailers would be. Those are the little radar signs that read your speed as you approach them; you sometimes see them in construction areas or at the airport terminal.

I made numerous passes on several different occasions and found out that my speedometer is spot on and in fact may be a little under (60 on my speedometer, 61 on the radar trailer). And sure enough my tach was touching the 4500 mark.

Most speedos are actually a little optimistic; it is common for a speedo to be showing 60 when the true speed is 55. You should first get yours calibrated and then you should be able to apply the ratios above. Either you have a very optimistic speedometer, or your tach is way lazy.

If there was one thing I could change about the 850, it would be to give it a 6th gear for highway cruising.

P.S.

1980 GS1000E 15.8 mph per 1000 rpm in 5th
            1980 GS1000g 15.4 mph per 1000 rpm in 5th
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Message deleted - Redundant of previous one.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

wow, 75 MPH in 6th gear in my 78 GS550 was ~7000 RPM. 8O

my new 550's speedometer acts kinda slow...so i use the function: at 5000 RPM - (Gear Number) x 10. So, 4th gear, 5000 RPM is about 40 MPH...estimate. works for me. 8)

~Adam

Comment

Took the 850 out for a ride this morning and checked.

At 50 mph (80 kmh), tachometer says between 3600 and 3700 rpms.
                  Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                  "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

im always looking for 6th gear

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
                      Well, get a GS550...

Comment

You guys are lucky.

@100km/h
                        4th = 8000
                        5th = 7000
                        6th = 6000

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
                          Originally posted by rick romero
                          Well, get a GS550...
                          That or get a GT250
                          Got 6 speeds and need them all 8O :twisted: :twisted:
                          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                          2000 Kawasaki Concours
                          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

I got the bike out again, and now the revs seem more in line with what they should be. My guess is that the cable or the gears in the speedo might have been a little bit stiff with age and no use and got loosened up a bit when I went riding. I don't think it was the tach, since had gotten a regular workout while working on the engine. Okay, I admit it, it got a workout even when the engine didn't need work; I would just fire it up to listen to it every once and a while. I love the sound that motor makes.

I know what you guys mean by looking for sixth, my CM450 is a six speed, and I had to continually remind myself that the GS was not while I was on it. The GS is also a hellovalot faster, something I kinda deliberately forgot to remind myself. :twisted:

-Morgan

Comment

me too... 6th would be nice...

Comment

Working...
                              X