Help, what model of GS 750 do I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, what model of GS 750 do I have?

I bought a 1980 GS 750 this year and really enjoy it, however I'm not certain as to which model it is and that kind of info is pretty essential when trying to locate parts. There is a pic of the bike on my page if that helps.
    It has the 4 valve / cylinder "tscc" engine, the headlight and gauges are the rectangular style , the tail light is the large style that continues the rear body line and the vin# GS75X514140
    Any comments would be appreciated since right now I'm thinking it's either a GS750 EX or ET according to one parts source diagram, but the guy I bought it from ( who didn't seem all that reliable ) told me he thought it was a GS 750L because it has the 16valve engine and 'L' stood for 'late' model and the 'E' stood for 'early' model and would be the 8valve engine.
    Thanks in advance for any input!

That is an ET model.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Welcome, Check out the gallery section of the GSR for many examples of the various GS models by year.

1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

How do you know what model you have? I think mine is a 78' gs750E but I am not sure.

Comment

Heres a German site with colour codes and frame numbers etc.: http://www.gs-classic.de/ Theres an English button on the start page,but..."frame" is "rahmen" in German.Just so you know.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980gsx View Post
            'L' stood for 'late' model and the 'E' stood for 'early' model and would be the 8valve engine.
            HAHAHA. Why can't people just say "I don't know"??? Chef's right, you've got an ET. In '80 the model was "ET" and in '81 is was "EX". Not much other than very subtle cosmetic changes during those two years. The "L" is what Suzuki used to designate the cruiser version with the stepped seat, pulled back bars, shaft drive and 8 valve motor. If your 750 has rectangular valve cover end caps, chain drive, then you've got the 16 valve motor.

Love to see pics, btw.

Cheers.

Don

Comment

Yes "L" is for LADIES model as we all know.

Comment

It's amazing what you will learn from the Model imfo & Gallery sections of this site.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                  Yes "L" is for LADIES model as we all know.
                  LOL.......that's funny....
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thanks to all!!!

Thanks to everyone that's responded. I now know for certain that it's a 1980 GS750 ET...like I said about the "early/late" guy, he didn't seem too with it.lol. All of the galleries are nice but you have both 8 & 16 valve bikes labeled as '80 GS 750 E, and some sites only list GS750 or GSX750 for 1980...soo it can get a bit confusing out there even with resources, but thanks to all of you I can be much more certain .attached is a pic of her
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2009, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Cool. A couple of things that I see right off that you can do to help make it a better ride is to go through the front brake system real well and switch out those old lines for a set of steel braided lines. Makes a big difference. If the front end feels squishy, think about getting Progressive fork springs and run 15w fork oil. That will stiffen up the front end. And I don't know how well those old shocks work for you but I've never had much luck with the originals. I also went with Progressive for rear shocks. Better check the swing arm bearings and steering stem bearings just to make sure the entire suspension system is good to go. These are things that most PO's ignore completely.

Good luck. In '81, Suzuki ditched that chrome rail on the seat so you know that's the original.

Don

Comment

You must've had one of these!

switch out those old lines for a set of steel braided lines. Makes a big difference.
                        think about getting Progressive fork springs and run 15w fork oil. That will stiffen up the front end.
                        And I don't know how well those old shocks work for you but I've never had much luck with the originals.
                        Better check the swing arm bearings and steering stem bearings just to make sure the entire suspension system is good to go. These are things that most PO's ignore completely.

I just bought another front brake lever/ master cylinder since the old one only had two screws that that weren't stripped, I'll have to look into the braided lines( good idea ).
                        I was just going to change the front fork oil because of the 'squish', so I'll be checking on trying to find some progressive springs too ...
                        The rear shocks are pretty well shot...not bottoming out, but far from stiff even when adjusted, so you hit that one dead on also...
                        Haven't actually given a proper go through of the steering stem yet( feels tight..) , and there isn't any discernable play in the swing arm, but I want to take it out to grease it anyway ( since there are no external grease fittings )
                        The PO definitely ignored many things on this machine, but I'm getting her back to life little by little...
                        I just sprung a leak in the cam cover gasket that oiled my knee on the way home last night, so I've got to locate / fabricate a new gasket now before Friday when I'm supposed to ride to Attica MI with my cousins Volusia group. Thanks again for the solid information...now I've got to get wrenching so my 29 y/o ride can show up all these fancy new volusias

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 1980gsx,

I notice that your motorcycle has the leading axle front forks. See the axle on the front of the forks instead of the bottom?

The handlebars and seat are NOT typical of an "L" model, but the forks are. It could be that you have a "frankenbike" there, with non-original parts. I can't tell if the gas tank is an "L" model tank or not. The "L" model tanks usually have a capacity of around 3.5 gallons while the "E" models are around 5 gallons.

EDIT: I must amend the above comments. In looking at pictures of other 1980 GS750ET bikes, I'm finding them all to have the leading front axle on the forks. I've not noticed this before. Let me look at some more pictures.

EDIT #2: OK. I just checked the parts fiche for the 1980 GS750E and it does, indeed, show leading axle front forks as stock for that year. I apologize for my confusion and thank you for allowing me to learn something new today.

Anyway, just let me say "Hi" in my typical way with a couple of links that lead to hundreds of other useful links. It will get you started on your way to GS nirvana.

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2009, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                            Hi Mr. 1980gsx,

I notice that your motorcycle has the leading axle front forks. See the forks on the front of the axle instead of the bottom?
                            The handlebars and seat are NOT typical of an "L" model, but the forks are. It could be that you have a "frankenbike" there, with non-original parts.
                            EDIT: I must amend the above comments. In looking at pictures of other 1980 GS750ET bikes, I'm finding them all to have the leading front axle on the forks. I've not noticed this before. Let me look at some more pictures.
                            Yep, Mr. BassCliff is right on top of it there. For some reason, the leading-axle fork was mostly used on the L models, but it was also used on the '80 and '81 750 and 1100E models, too. Might have been others, too, but we are not worried about them right now.

The only non-stock items I notice in your picture are the flatter handlebars, 4-into-1 header and a missing side cover.
                            Hopefully your carbs have been re-jetted for the header.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                            X