Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will GS1100G exhaust interchange with GS1100GK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will GS1100G exhaust interchange with GS1100GK?

I need a complete exhaust system for my 82 GK and in my search have noticed the 82 and 83 GS1100G models have an exhaust that looks identical to the GK. I have looked at the photos of the G models in the Suzuki Sales Brochure and photos of G models on the web and those with stock exhaust look like the GK version. I've done a search of the forums on threads and posts and could not come up with anything definitive using "GS1100GK exhaust"

The G and GK models use a Dunstall style muffler and not the megaphone style. There is a difference of about 6 1/2 inches in muffler length with the Dunstall being longest. Both models are shaft driven and both models use same gas tank and plastics. Both models use the same engine as far as I know. I removed both exhaust heat shields trying to find a number of some sorts but none exists.

I looked up the part numbers at Alpha Sports and the systems show different part numbers. So if they are different how are they different? I took some measurements from the stock system on my GK.

muffler diameter is 4 inches
    length from rear of exhaust heat shield to rear of muffler = left 24 3/8, right 24 1/2

height measurements were taken on level concrete with bike resting on the center stand.

height from ground to bottom of muffler measured at rear of exhaust heat shield = left 10 7/16 right 10 7/16

height from ground to bottom of muffler measured directly under exhaust mounting bracket to frame bolt = left 11 3/8 right 11 3/8

height from ground to bottom of muffler measured at rear of muffler = left 14 1/4 right 14 flat.

Right now I'm thinking the only difference in the pipes between the two models is the amount of exhaust packing around the baffles. This maybe wrong thinking so I am asking for help please.

I have no personal experience with this but I've read here that the GK mufflers are slightly lower to clear saddle bags.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I found this on the internet so thought I would pass on. Marving mufflers, cost is $273.99 for two mufflers. Order from

can also go direct to marving web page to find what is available for other bikes.

I'm still searching for information on interchange between G and GK.

[ATTACH]7751

Comment

GS1100G and GS1100GK exhaust downpipes and mufflers are interchangeable.
        "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
        Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
          GS1100G and GS1100GK exhaust downpipes and mufflers are interchangeable.
          I spent lots of time looking for a relacement exhaust when I bought my GK and I seem to recall the G mufflers did not work with the GK saddle bags... (but that was ~12 years ago and my memory isn't getting any better).....

Comment

It works, we just did it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lich View Post
              I spent lots of time looking for a relacement exhaust when I bought my GK and I seem to recall the G mufflers did not work with the GK saddle bags... (but that was ~12 years ago and my memory isn't getting any better).....
              I had to do some fabrication just to get the bags mounted to the bike, but I had no problems with muffler clearance on "Junior", my 1980 850GK.

Click on Junior's link in my sig, you can get a hint of the fit.

Here is a picture that will directly compare an 1100GK on the left and Junior on the right.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X