stainless line installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stainless line installation

So, one day in the near future, I dream of having a little time to install front stainless brake lines. I bought the set used quite awhile back from someone and it looks fine.

So, is this a reasonable approach……remove the fluid through the bleeder valve, remove all existing hoses, hook up new hoses, then just start adding fluid and bleeding……….am I missing something? I’m sure I am.
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

buy new washers. maybe clean masters and calipers good. make sure tiny holes in masters are open and free flowing. It is almost just as easy to take entire back caliper and back master off and clean. I just did mine and dont be afraid to waste plenty of fluid trying to flush them if your not taking them off. It is worth the effort to remove the back like I said above and the front calipers and dissemble all of them for a good cleaning and inspection should not add to much more time to project but your choice.

Comment

Also get a vacuum pump to bleed the lines (suck at the caliepr bleeder); the front can be a BIATCH

Comment

Remove the front MC & both front calipers (splitter too if you're planning to keep it) and do a proper cleaning. You may be suprised at how much gunk & jelly are in those parts.

I actually clean all the parts in a plastic tub in my kitchen sink (yes, no wife to freak out at my house) using dish soap with a toothbrush, q-tips & small wire to poke through holes. Dry everything well (I use compressed air) and then reassemble with fresh clean DOT 4 brake fluid on the seals to lubricate...

You will most likely not need to replace any inards, but if you do PartShark sells the cheapest OEM re-build kits.

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_select1.asp?

Z1 sells 10 packs of Goodridge 3/8" crush washers cheap too.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Not to hijack this thread, but I was in Harbor Freight Tools yesterday to purchase a metric tap set. They have their vacuum pumps including brake bleeding accessories on sale. I think the price was in the low $20 range. They sell on-line if you don't happen to have one near you so no real excuse for not having one.
          Don

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Don View Post
            Not to hijack this thread, but I was in Harbor Freight Tools yesterday to purchase a metric tap set. They have their vacuum pumps including brake bleeding accessories on sale. I think the price was in the low $20 range. They sell on-line if you don't happen to have one near you so no real excuse for not having one.
            Don
            My HF pump quit working after trying to use it a second time.

People talk about a MightyPump.

I just happened to have a good hand operated vacuum pump I put to service in a pinch.

Comment

Where is the fastest and most cost effective place to get ss brake lines?

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
                Where is the fastest and most cost effective place to get ss brake lines?
                Hi,

Z1 Enterprises sells Goodridge parts. Even cheaper would be to build your own using Mr. Nessism's recommendations and Earl's Tubing parts from AN Plumbing (scroll down to "Homemade Stainless Brake Lines with Video"). Mr. bwringer has a "how to" build brake lines on his GS website. Spiegler also has ready-made kits that you can bolt on.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I use a Mityvac and it is definately worth it. I would also recommend getting new crush washers. If you keep the splitter give it a good cleaning as others have mentioned. While you have the system down maybe get a couple of OEM rebuilt kits while you are at it. If you have not done them before you will be amazed at the junk that comes out of old calipers when you do the seals and dust boots. Here is what mine looked like on the inside before I rebuilt them.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                  81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                  83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                  06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                  AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I guess I already had a MityVac. They are pretty cheap in Plastic

Comment

Hmmmm....ya know, I have a spare set of front calipers. Maybe I should clean, rebuild, add new pads, etc. at my leisure and have the whole set ready????
                      "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Sounds like an excellent idea... don't forget the MC too.
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Threads?

When using goodridge with separate line-fittings, do you have to treat the threads before putting them together with anything like teflon or anti-seize?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson View Post
                            Hmmmm....ya know, I have a spare set of front calipers. Maybe I should clean, rebuild, add new pads, etc. at my leisure and have the whole set ready????
                            That's a great way to go, it will speed up the final installation. I was going to recommend changing the seals as they get old and hard, but changing all the rubber parts and pistons as necessary is even better.

I found that when you bleed the lines and aren't getting results that leaving it overnight can help.
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

i just took my front 3 lines off and I am going to look into Z1 to see what i will need. First time doing this so i want to make sure i replace most everything that needs to be replaced. Going SS lines.

I may be asking for help but seems like there is some guy in the forum with a how to tutorial.
                              1979 GS850G
                              2004 SV650N track bike
                              2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                              LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Working...
                              X