Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cool down 1977 GS750 in a tropical environment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to cool down 1977 GS750 in a tropical environment?

Hi all,

I just own a 1977 GS750 and I live in a tropical country (under the equator). I am in the middle of getting to know my machine. As suspected the engine gets very hot especially during city traffic jam.

Any advise a system (additional system) to cool down this machine? Can I modify to have oil cooler? Sorry if the question is very basic.

Any help and advise is very much welcomed.

Josh

What do you mean by tropical?? What is an average daytime high for your area? In my area we usually average around 80 to 85 degrees farenheit. It isnt uncommon to have some 90 plus days mixed in. I have a 77 and a 78 GS 750. They run just fine and i have never had any worries about the heat related to being in city traffic... thats all that around here...city riding. Now being in a TRAFFIC JAM is quite a different story.. Give us a bit of an overview as to the conditions you are encountering and i am sure the forum members will have plenty of usefull suggestions...CHUCK
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Adding an oil cooler wouldn't hurt and run synthetic oil since it holds up to heat better than dino oil. Do a search on "oil cooler" for lots of threads on the subject.

Good luck
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

When I was in the Philippines (Manila) a traffic jam meant
        being surrounded by cars who paid no attention to lanes
        so I did not even have room to split between stopped traffic.
        Is it that way there?

I would check your plugs and make sure you are not running lean
        which would make you run hot. Some times a previous owner will
        modify the air filters with out richening the carbs. Is your bike stock?

Comment

Hi all,

The traffic is like Pihilipines or even worse I guess!

Yes my bike is stock. nothing been modified. As for the temperature - normal environment is 32 degrees celcius (not sure in Fahrenheit).

I am currently looking for ways to modify it with oil cooler but trying to find a way to do it. I have a mechanic friend who can help.

However, I will check with the plugs and make sure it doesn't run lean.

Any further info guys?

Thanks so much!
          Josh

Comment

Josh,

Don't worry too much about the heat mate. We get some real 'sizzlers' down here and these bikes have no trouble. If you get caught in a really bad traffic jam I'd suggest just switching it off - you'll save fuel that way too.

Comment

josh;
              As your bike is stock most probably has stock pilot jets in your carbs, just go one or two sizes up and you will be taking advantage of the refrigerant effect of richer a/f ratio. I live in Puerto Rico and my GS1100E has #55 pilot jets very rich, but good for my taste and the bike runs excellent, it doesnt feel too hot, just normal. My plugs are just grey/tan.
              In addition as previously said by Zooks, turn it off as you can and avoid traffic jams. If you are going to cool your engine by means of a oil cooler, remember it will work just when the bike is in motion, to make it work when stopped you will need to install a fan in front of your oil cooler, but be careful, the GS charging system is not a high amperage system.
              Hope this can help you.

jacora

Comment

I've been running my GS1100EZ in 115+ degree temps here in Phoenix without any ill effects. Reads hot on the gauge, but no loss of performance, and plugs check out ok on throttle chops from 2k to 9k, at 1k increments. Nice and tan all the way.

Sort of off topic, but how accurate are the stock gauges for temperature? No way this thing is running as hot as the gauge reads, and I haven't yet bought a crankcase thermometer.

Comment

Working...
                X