Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffler bracket/swing arm pivot question

1981 GS750E.

I am missing the left side muffler bracket. I have one but am hesitant to try and install it without some guidance.

I've looked over the parts fiche and it appears that the entire swing arm pivot bolt has to come out. It seems an area for potential problems if you aren't sure about what is involved. What can I expect to find? What should I expect to replace or service once it's out?

I've no centerstand on the bike but have one I can put on. I do have a swing arm stand but I can't believe it would work for this repair.

My replacement bracket has a touch of rust. What is the best way to deal with that so it doesn't come back or permanently damage the metal?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or guidance. It's not critical of course but I have someone who eventually plans to ride on the back and would rather she didn't have to drag her feet. It would hurt the MPG.

Well, ONE way you could do this, so that you dont have to disassemble the whole rear-end of the bike so the swinger doesnt come off the bike under the weight, is to have ANOTHER swingarm pivot, or a metal rod about the same diameter. Basicly, you could undo the nut, start pulling the pivot out, and at the same time, slide the other one in from the other side. Once you have the stock one out all the way, DONT put the other one in all the way, it should hold the swinger for the short time you need to get the bracket on and slide the pivot back in, pushing the temporary one back out...make sense?? I'd definately try to do this on the centerstand, so there is no real weight except whats hanging on the rear on the swingarm.. May not be the BEST way, but it SHOULD work. LOL

For the rust, Ive found a NEW favorite item for my garage. EVAPORUST. There have been some threads on it here, but its basicly a SAFE chemical that will take the rust off of metal, without harming the finish. It WILL leave the pitting from the old rust behind, so it wont be all shiney where the rust was if its really bad, but if its light surface rust, Ive been amazed at what it can do. You can find this stuff at Lowes, or Home Depot, and even Harbor Freight. Its not super expensive, but not all that cheap, but the BEST part is, its REUSEABLE!! Just pour it back in the bottle when its done doing its thing, and use it again when you need. Ive used the LITTLE bottle probably over and over a dozen times, and it just keeps working.

After youre done soaking, rinse it off really well, then clean it with alchohol, and maybe shoot some clear laquer or clearcoat paint on it to prevent it from rusting up again.. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Well, ONE way you could do this, so that you dont have to disassemble the whole rear-end of the bike so the swinger doesnt come off the bike under the weight, is to have ANOTHER swingarm pivot, or a metal rod about the same diameter. Basicly, you could undo the nut, start pulling the pivot out, and at the same time, slide the other one in from the other side. Once you have the stock one out all the way, DONT put the other one in all the way, it should hold the swinger for the short time you need to get the bracket on and slide the pivot back in, pushing the temporary one back out...make sense?? I'd definately try to do this on the centerstand, so there is no real weight except whats hanging on the rear on the swingarm.. May not be the BEST way, but it SHOULD work. LOL

For the rust, Ive found a NEW favorite item for my garage. EVAPORUST. There have been some threads on it here, but its basicly a SAFE chemical that will take the rust off of metal, without harming the finish. It WILL leave the pitting from the old rust behind, so it wont be all shiney where the rust was if its really bad, but if its light surface rust, Ive been amazed at what it can do. You can find this stuff at Lowes, or Home Depot, and even Harbor Freight. Its not super expensive, but not all that cheap, but the BEST part is, its REUSEABLE!! Just pour it back in the bottle when its done doing its thing, and use it again when you need. Ive used the LITTLE bottle probably over and over a dozen times, and it just keeps working.

After youre done soaking, rinse it off really well, then clean it with alchohol, and maybe shoot some clear laquer or clearcoat paint on it to prevent it from rusting up again.. Just my .02
      I like the tip. Do you think a wooden dowel would work as long as the swing arm remains supported? Wedge something under it was what I was thinking. Use the centerstand. Looks like I may have to just give in and put it back on and leave it.

I am afraid that pulling the bolt will cause something bad to happen to the bearings and I'll be down again waiting for parts.

I know nothing about paint that isn't used for plastic models. Is there any brand's particularly better than another?

Todd
      Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2009, 01:51 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

I am going to try this swing arm pivot trick today or tomorrow. Is there any chance that I'll have parts coming out with the pivot bolt as I push the other rod through?

I saw a post where someone said the diameter of the rod is 5/8" or 0.625". I assume I want the push rod to be as close to that as I can. Should I be prepared to grease the pivot bolt?

Thanks.

Woodsie

Comment

I say remove the swingarm entirely and grease the bearings. Turn the situation in a win-win situation.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
          X