turn signal relay issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn signal relay issue

hey everyone, searched the threads and cant quiet find the answer. bike is a '79 750l and the signal relay went out. i replaced it with another thermal relay but it only lasted two days. i bought a two prong electronic relay for trucks and suv's and put in it and it seems to be holding for now. at least for four days so far.lol. anyone have any ideas as to why the thermal relays are dying on me all of a sudden? thanks for your help.

Does your bike have auto-cancelling turn signals?

If it does, you can not simply go to the auto parts store for a new flasher relay. Even if you get one of the three-terminal relays, they are not wired the same. In fact, if you look at the wiring diagrams of all the different three-terminal relays in the store, you will see that even they are not all wired the same.

The flasher relays in our bikes with auto-cancel systems have a type of switch in them that is controlled by the auto-cancel control unit. When that switch is turned ON, current is allowed to flow through the thermal section. Only two of the three terminals are for the flasher, the third one is for the control unit. In the auto part store flashers, the configuration of the three terminals might put the third terminal as a ground or as part of the thermal unit. It is possible to use a two terminal flasher unit, as long as you put it in the correct two terminals in the bike, but you won't have your self cancelling feature any more.

If your bike does not have self cancelling signals, ignore all of the above, as it won't apply to you.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Does your bike have auto-cancelling turn signals?

If it does, you can not simply go to the auto parts store for a new flasher relay. Even if you get one of the three-terminal relays, they are not wired the same. In fact, if you look at the wiring diagrams of all the different three-terminal relays in the store, you will see that even they are not all wired the same.

The flasher relays in our bikes with auto-cancel systems have a type of switch in them that is controlled by the auto-cancel control unit. When that switch is turned ON, current is allowed to flow through the thermal section. Only two of the three terminals are for the flasher, the third one is for the control unit. In the auto part store flashers, the configuration of the three terminals might put the third terminal as a ground or as part of the thermal unit. It is possible to use a two terminal flasher unit, as long as you put it in the correct two terminals in the bike, but you won't have your self cancelling feature any more.

If your bike does not have self cancelling signals, ignore all of the above, as it won't apply to you.

my signals are not self-cancelling. good looking out though

Comment

Since you don't have self-cancelling signals, a simple two-terminal flasher should work.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by spyder2120 View Post
          any ideas as to why the thermal relays are dying on me all of a sudden? thanks for your help.
          Probably due to vibration - the way it is mounted?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Since you don't have self-cancelling signals, a simple two-terminal flasher should work.

You can buy one for a few bucks at the auto parts store.

Comment

Working...
            X