Master cylinder rebuild GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master cylinder rebuild GS1100E

Trying to pull the piston/pump out of my front master cylinder as I have a rebuild kit on order. I have the dust seals, circlip, and washer out but I can't get the piston out. I see some round parts inside but they seem pressed in or frozen. As of now I'm just letting it soak in some Kroil oil. Any one have advice on pulling out the piston or getting these parts dislodged? I have rebuilt the cylinder on my honda before but nothing was frozen on that one.

How about blowing some compressed air in though the discharge port to push the piston out backwards?

Oh, and once you get the piston out clean the bore carefully and inspect it using a flashlight to look for pitting in the metal. Pits are bad, and will cause leakage.

Good luck,
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Try and tap the piston in a bit, if it moves clean out the barrel and wrap in in a cloth and try to blow it out with compressed air

Edit: Nessism got to you first while I was typing

Comment

not the caliper.

I hear of the compressed air working on the calipers but I don't see how it will work on the master cylinder. With two holes under the filler reservior and the piston seal leaking I bet the air wouldn't work. Suppose I'll try the oil and tapping till I get some movement. I'll buy some PB blaster as well unless someone knows if I need to force it out somehow.

Comment

Take a look at these pics

By mounting the brake lever backwards, I was able to hook the brake lever under the groove in the piston. Use the lever to push out the piston. Make sure you have removed all the clips. There is a wire circlip that holds the boot on and a snap ring that holds the piston in place.

Comment

Thanks.

Thats sure a smart trick. I got mine out by wraping a wire around the groove. I grabed it with pliers then smacked the pliers a few times. Tried that earlier but it didn't work then. Took me an hour to find the little round shim that went tinging across the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by cdnoel View Post
              I hear of the compressed air working on the calipers but I don't see how it will work on the master cylinder. With two holes under the filler reservior and the piston seal leaking I bet the air wouldn't work. Suppose I'll try the oil and tapping till I get some movement. I'll buy some PB blaster as well unless someone knows if I need to force it out somehow.
              A small g-clamp with a bit of flat rubber over the holes or a bit of wood in a vice to hold the rugger and the airduster tip poked in the banjo hole through a bit of shop cloth can do wonders!

Comment

Originally posted by cdnoel View Post
                With the resevoir removed - A small g-clamp with a bit of flat rubber over the holes or a bit of wood in a vice to hold the rubber and the airduster tip poked in the banjo hole through a bit of shop cloth can do wonders!

Comment

Working...
                X