Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 Chain and Shaft Drive

Hello everyone!

I took the plunge and bought my first bike, a 1981 GS650E with 24k, which needs lot of work. So far, I have been able to tear it down to the frame, thanks to everyone's previous posts in the forum, and BassCliff's site! I havent even got a chance to ride the thing yet, but I already know plenty about it.

I have a question. The GS650E I have is a chain drive. I have the opportunity to purchase a bike, which is a 1982 GS650L shaft drive. I really like the idea on the shaft drive system requiring less overall maintenance. Is it possible to switch my GS650E over to a shaft drive? I know this might be a hard task from what I read in a previous forum post, but that was going from a 750 to 1100E. Also, Are these models close enough to share similar parts as well?

Originally posted by Derek Lemay View Post
    Hello everyone!

I took the plunge and bought my first bike, a 1981 GS650E with 24k, which needs lot of work. So far, I have been able to tear it down to the frame, thanks to everyone's previous posts in the forum, and BassCliff's site! I havent even got a chance to ride the thing yet, but I already know plenty about it.

I have a question. The GS650E I have is a chain drive. I have the opportunity to purchase a bike, which is a 1982 GS650L shaft drive. I really like the idea on the shaft drive system requiring less overall maintenance. Is it possible to switch my GS650E over to a shaft drive? I know this might be a hard task from what I read in a previous forum post, but that was going from a 750 to 1100E. Also, Are these models close enough to share similar parts as well?
    Simple answer.. No..

Beyond the engine size these bikes don't share a lot in common. Especially since the shaft version is the L model. The frames basically couldn't get any more different than the two models you have. Even the electricals between the bikes are different enough that it wouldn't provide spare parts in that department either.

Amos

PS.. Welcome to the forum..

Comment

I just got the 650g, I purchased in July running a few weeks ago, and what I've noticed, in looking for various parts for it, is that swing arm is totally different, due to the shaft. The frames and motor mounts would have to be the same but, you would need different foot pegs, peg hangers and what I don't know. Sometimes I wish I had an e, but for the money I gave for this, I'll keep and learn to ride this one. Most of the body work is different. I bought a front fender off and L, won't fit.

good luck

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Stick with the E as it has a roller bearing crank but the shafties have plain bearings.More gooderer.Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

If you go to one of the on-line parts fishe systems such as Alpha-Sports, you will see that the frames are different back by the swingarm attachment area so grafting in a shaft drive engine/drivetrain would not be easy.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Amazingly, as stated by Simon, the shaft drive 650 and the chain drive 650 are more different than they are similar. Roller bearing bottom end vs Plain Bearing bottom end is a big difference.

That said, even on bikes like GS1000G's and GS1000E's where the shaft motor is directly based upon the GS1000 chain drive engine, it is not practical to convert. If you want a shaft, the best option is to buy a bike that comes with one.

Hapilly, both versions are easy enough to find and reasonably priced. As to the relative merit of plain bearings vs. roller bearings in the bottom end, that is a whole other debate.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post

Hapilly, both versions are easy enough to find and reasonably priced.
              650 G and L are easy to find, the elusive E not so much.
              Only made for one year, they are veryu hard to find.
              I have been looking for one for years.

Go find a nice tight 650G, and send me your E.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                650 G and L are easy to find, the elusive E not so much.
                Only made for one year, they are veryu hard to find.
                I have been looking for one for years.

Go find a nice tight 650G, and send me your E.
                Actually tkent, the E was made 2 years.. 81 and 82. Still by all accounts a short production run and yes they are hard to locate. I was kinda sad when I watched mine leave, but it was such an ugly bike and the 550 should be plenty for most of my riding (and hopefully harder to get into trouble with as the 650 put 4 points on my license in one stop..)

Amos

Comment

Working...
                X