GSXR CARBS......and anotther small problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR CARBS......and anotther small problem

hi,,guys,,, i,m david from kaniva australia.....its only a small country town,,,900 people,,,,and it tends to be a more mature population ,,,than youngish etc...anyway,,,,do gsxr 1000 carbs fit directly straight on ,,something around 36mm... on a gs1000e 1980 model....please help... more immediate is .... is there a secret to placing the gs1000e on its centre stand.... and at the same time ... i,ve got weakness in the chest ..and on 3-4 injections of insulin per day,,, so if you guys have an easy method of standing it on the centre stand i,d certainly appreciate.. you help and advice.... as i want to attack and replace my swing arm ...with my gsx1100 alloy swing arm ... as its now polishedand complete... thankyou and safe riding david from kaniva ......

If you're tall you could use a slightly longer shock at the back to help you get it on the stand... It gets easier with practice, lots of write ups on method here, do a seach.

I guess you could also drive the back wheel up a ramp, that doesn't help you in the field but could be a trick in your garage.

Not sure if the carbs will physically fit but a 36mm will be too much carb for a stock engine.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

34mm gsxr/bandit carbs will work well with the gs, port spacing is the same but you may have issues with getting them in the inlet rubbers, 33mm from the gsxF range will also work & the same applies, either will need re-jetting to suit & you will almost certainly need to run pod filters instead of the airbox

for getting it on the centre stand ............ place right foot on the stands peg while holding the left handle bar with the left hand, place right hand under the seat area ......... make sure BOTH feet of the stand are firmly on the ground, apply weight to the right foot & stand while pulling up & back with the right hand, no real muscle required its more of an aquired skill or combination of the right moves it should easilly & smoothly come up onto the stand but if you find yourself struggling & straining you are doing it wrong so take a breather & try again later

Comment

There is a wonderful technique that works well to put the bike on the stand, but it's best shown, not told. And, just before I post this, I see that Tone has described it quite well. The only thing I would add is that it helps to lean over the bike a bit so that ALL of your weight is on your right foot, then simply lift on the handle and the bike practically jumps up on the stand.

Lacking that, place a piece of 2x4 lumber just in front of the rear wheel, then drive up on it. With the rear wheel elevated, the bike is much easier to put on the centerstand. This is a slight variation on salty_monk's recommendation of using a ramp. The 2x4 is a bit more stable.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm a weakling myself, so I've found that what Tone suggests is pretty much on key, but I might add that I find that if I put all my weight on the center stand foot (the right one), and keep my leg straight and right over it, all I have to do is just kinda lift up gently and the bike rolls right up. I usually have to pull up gently for a moment or two before the bike comes on up.

Comment

Also, 36mm carbs are NOT too large for a stock 1000 motor!!! ESPECIALLY if they are CV carbs! You will just need to take the time to tune them correctly.Ray.

Comment

gsxr1000 carbs //centre stand ..gs1000e 1980

gentlemen,,, thankyou for your advice on placing my bike on the centre stand ,,, i did exactly what was suggested .. and used a 150x40 just behind the rear wheel and a house brick under the wood ,making my ramp,, then easily rolled it up the ramp.. and bingo .. i, short.. so i,ll have to practice putting on the centre stand as its easier to work on,,, i just inspected my goldy anidised chain,, and could not find a joining link.... i can only assume that its been there since 1980,,,,, i,m only guessing....as i,m keen to fit the lighter chain,,,,,,, thanks for your advice on the gsxr carbs,,,,, i,ll keep it in mind when i go to melbourne,s several wreckers ,,, regards david from kaniva australia

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                Also, 36mm carbs are NOT too large for a stock 1000 motor!!! ESPECIALLY if they are CV carbs! You will just need to take the time to tune them correctly.Ray.
                I agree 110% with Ray!
                I ran the 34's on a stock 850, how in heck could the 36's be TOO big???

Eric

Comment

Working...
                X