carb question 1 miliion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb question 1 miliion

Sorry I know about the millionth carb question but here goes. I cleaned the carbs the right way last year and finally got the bike on the road this year. In the morning It starts really well after just turning over justi a couple times with choke full on. But if I take off riding before 15 minutes then it has a flat accelleration not quit a bog but close. Then after the warmup period it runs like a top with great acceleration from idle all way up to 8000rpms at any speed. also if I want to start of earlier then 15 minutes I can just leave choke slightly on few a couple miles then shut choke off after that or just have choke off and drive it until it warms up enough to have the dull acceleration disappear. I have not done highest rpm method yet with mixture screws yet. will that fix it or do you guys have other ideas. also the two inner cylinders 2 and 3 dont get hot as soon as outer 1 and 4. Yea i tell by touching them the first minute or two of running.

Hi,

When was the last time you adjusted the valve clearances?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

never putting it off. it starts so well thought that might rule that out??

Comment

You didn't answer the question.

Edit: My bad. I see you did answer but my feeble brain missed it. That said, please get busy and do the valves so that can be ruled out.
        Last edited by Nessism; 09-18-2009, 08:48 AM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Turn the mixture screws out 1/4 turn retry, turn another 1/4 turn if needed should help

Comment

air leak

Changes as the bike warms up can be several things and you can't really rule any of the out for sure 'till you check.

First, check the valve clearances.

You should also be thinking about the carb boot seals (o-rings if it has them and I think it does) at the head. You might also be looking at the air box boots to make sure they are sealing well. And do you have an exhaust gasket leak?

These bikes are very susceptible to changes in air flow and air leaks around the carbs. Even a tiny leak can make a big difference in how it runs.

It's possible that as the metal warms up the seal is changing at one of the points mentioned above.

Comment

You are a little lean on the needle. Remove the plastic over the jet needle and replace the same heigth with Radio Shack washers. Remove two to three washers. This will raise the needle to richen the needle circuit.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                You didn't answer the question.
                Yeah he did. He said "never putting it off".
                Reckon ya need to be from the south to understand goofy grammer and lack of quotations
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                  Yeah he did. He said "never putting it off".
                  Reckon ya need to be from the south to understand goofy grammer and lack of quotations
                  I'm not from the South, but I have met Buckeyemike, so I will fill in the rest of his answer.
                  "Never. I have been putting it off."

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks everyone, sorry for the improper grammer. I should show more respect for all of you by taking the time to properly type my ideas. I apologize to all of you and thanks Steve I appreciate the translation. I just get excited by all the great answers I will receive that my proofreading goes out the window. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

I would pull the pilot jets and clean them out with fine strands of copper wire. A small accumulation of crud there makes a big difference, especially for warmup.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I'm not from the South, but I have met Buckeyemike, so I will fill in the rest of his answer.
                        "Never. I have been putting it off."

Who's Buckeyemike?
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                          Who's Buckeyemike?
                          The Original Poster...

Mike, before you make ANY adjustments to the carburetion, ADJUST THE VALVES. Because if you adjust the carbs, and then adjust the valves, that will all go out the window. If ya need some help, Id be happy to lend a hand, if we can somehow manage to arrange our schedules to work out. Thats been a trick thus far Just give a shout!

Josh

Comment

Working...
                          X